BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Repair Advice

• Steev
  • Steev's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • 1999, G13BB, Auto
More
20 Nov 2022 03:53 #246013 by Steev
Repair Advice was created by Steev
Hi all,
I've recently joined the Jimny club down under! - sadly my purchase -1999, G13BB, Automatic, 230,000km- only lasted a few weeks and one 4x4 trip later; it went off to the mechanic. The little Jimny performed really well before and during the trip but it bearly made it home.
The symptoms are a rough idle and rear diff noise, the diff noise started halfway home, and the rough idle began most of the way home. The Mechanic has come back to me saying the whole rear diff needs replacing (without inspection) and the engine head needs to come off for inspection because there is no pressure - likely a piston fail. I have two questions I would love your opinions with:
1st, If I go ahead and get the engine fixed, is is likely something else will break?
2nd, should I find a replacement diff (whole diff or just the centre) or look at getting something else put in

Thanks all

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
20 Nov 2022 06:40 #246014 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Repair Advice
Depending on availability I would look at this as an opportunity to do some upgrades. I would look at the 1.6 variant of the g series and depending on what happened with the diff, a quaife helical LSD would make a huge difference.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steev

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.080 seconds