BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Does the M13A have an oil pressure sensor?

More
09 Oct 2022 21:16 - 10 Oct 2022 00:48 #245354 by Vandoni
So... i almost destroyed my engine because of oil starvation.
The motor is fine and is happier than ever now that it has new oil, but before the improvised oil change it lost all the lubricant it had inside, (4.1 lt more or less) because of a oil filter sandwich plate that i didn't tighten enough (i didn't have any tools), all the oil dripped out and when i smelt some of it burning on my exhaust pipe i pulled over and turned the engine off.
Now the car is alive and well and the engine wasn't damaged since i run 5w30 and i still had a little bit of oil on the moving parts, but when i was driving, nothing notified me of the lack of oil pressure, i suspect my gran's mechanic removed some of the dash cluster bulbs and that's the reason my gran didn't know that she had no oil, same thing that's happened to me.

Does the m13a 2000 suzuki jimny have an oil pressure sensor?

thanks in advance for the answers!
Last edit: 10 Oct 2022 00:48 by Vandoni.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Oct 2022 01:19 #245355 by fordem
Yes it does - look for it on the side of the cylinder block above the oil filter - there should be a red oil can warning light in the dash cluster that comes on when you switch the ignition on before the engine is started.

If the light doesn't come on, ground the oil pressure switch wire to the side of the block and check it again, if it still doesn't come on check the bulb and the wiring.,

More
10 Oct 2022 09:40 #245363 by Vandoni
the bulb lights up in the dash when i turn the ignition on, but when i lost pressure it didn't turn on.
my guess is the sensor is faulty because of its age

More
10 Oct 2022 14:15 #245367 by fordem
What is more likely to have happened is that you never lost oil pressure - a leak at the filter will allow oil to escape, but it would have to be a significant leak to cause the pressure to drop low enough to turn the light on.

The light should turn off with a pressure above approximately 3~4 psi, enough to force oil out past a loosely tightened filter.

You can fit a pressure gauge if you think that would make you more comfortable, but I would suggest that you keep the light as well, it's a lot easier to see a red light come on out of the corner of your eye than it is to see a gauge needle slowly wind it's way back to zero.

More
10 Oct 2022 15:28 #245368 by Vandoni
well, first of all i'm fitting a temp sensor on the sandwich plate, but the pressure sensor i actually a good idea, i'll add the gauge beside the new temp gauge once i install it
thanks for the tip

More
10 Oct 2022 17:31 #245373 by fordem
I wondered why the sandwich plate.

Just my $0.02, I don't see the point in an oil temperature gauge on a water cooled engine, it's not going to give you any more information than the existing coolant temperature gauge already provides, and if you don't already have a coolant temperature gauge, then a coolant temperature gauge would be better idea than an oil temperature gauge.

More
10 Oct 2022 18:37 #245375 by Busta
Hang on a minute. You fitted a sandwich plate without the proper tools, in order to fit an oil temperature sensor, presumably so you can obsess about looking after your engine, and in doing so nearly seized your engine? There's a lesson to be learned there.

As Fordem says, if the light didn't come on you never lost oil pressure. The test for if the oil pressure switch (it's a switch, not a sensor) is working correctly, and that the engine has oil pressure, is that the light is on with the ignition on and goes off once the engine is running. It's a foolproof system.

Also "the engine wasn't damaged since I run 5w30" doesn't make any sense.

More
11 Oct 2022 13:46 #245389 by Vandoni
yeah i learnt my lesson for sure, we were stupid and forgot our tools but wanted to fit the part on anyway.
i want to install the sensor because i want to know the oil temp, since i'll be modding the engine and doing a lot of stuff to it and because i like the aesthetic to it.
the thing about it not getting damaged because of the oil is that with 5w30 it resisted well to the temps and stuck to the parts even tho there was almost none in the engine. a buddy of mine ran 20w50 and his engine blew when he was in the same situation (he got tehere for different reasons tho)
also i didn't know about the whole oil pressure switch thing, i thought there would be a sensor or something of the sort, i'm still learning stuff since i do many things by myself to try and learn. obviously i watch tutorials and ask mechanics for their opinion before doing anything

More
11 Oct 2022 14:41 - 11 Oct 2022 14:54 #245390 by fordem
If we're going to talk about oil "resisting well to temperature", the 20w50 is going to "resist better" than 5w30. Your buddy either had less oil than you did or ran his engine longer without oil than you did.
Last edit: 11 Oct 2022 14:54 by fordem. Reason: correct typo

More
11 Oct 2022 15:42 #245393 by Vandoni
idk man, i just know the little jimny didn't die that day and i'm happy for that, i'm still ignorant about a lot of stuff and am trying to learn

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds