BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Gen4 LCV to SZ5 spec

More
30 Sep 2022 16:18 - 30 Sep 2022 19:01 #245243 by Motacilla
Hello Jimny experts!I am getting ready to buy a new Jimny LCV, and I have some questions for you band of brothers.Specifically, I would like to add some SZ5 features to the LCV, so I want to determine what one can bolt on. Below is what I have seen so far in my hours of reading through old posts on this forum. Please correct me if I am wrong on any point, or if you see a model difference that I did not notice!

In no particular order:

1) Headunit / radio: Is it correct that the SZ5 version, with the full color touchscreen and Android/Apple support, is a straight replacement for the basic radio in the LCV? Is all wiring present for it to be fully functional?  

2) Speakers: Someone on the forum noted that the rear seat speakers are now used for the emergency calling (“E-Call”) function. Is this easy to change if I change the headunit per item 1 above?  

3) Climate controls: It appears that it might be complex to replace the basic AC/fan controls of the LCV with the temperature-set controls of the SZ5. So, I do not plan to try this. Besides which I think I prefer the manual version.  

4) Steering wheel: The SZ5 is leather, the LCV is rubberized. I assume this is a straight bolt-on.  

5) Other dashboard differences: The SZ5 has chrome-look trim rings around the side air vents, while the LCV’s vent trims are plain. I assume this is a straight bolt-on. I’m not aware of any other dashboard differences, let me know if I have missed any.  

6) Heated seats: A lot of online commenters have said that the LCV does not come with heated seats, but in my country at least (far northern Europe) it does, so no differences there that I am aware of.  

7) Exterior door handles: SZ5 are body color, LCV are plain black. I assume this is a straight bolt-on.  

8) LED headlamps: LCV are halogens, but I suspect that replacing them with diode lights is much more complicated than just changing out the factory light assemblies.  I am under the impression that the LED units are self-leveling, for example, and I guess there might be wiring differences related.  Can anyone (ahem) shed light on this?  

9) Rear seats/load area: Much discussed here. Long story short, I am not interested in rear seats, which is good because it looks like they cannot be added without some body pan mods anyway, according to a few posts here in the forum.  

10) Alloy wheels: I might want some for summer use. Anyone got a set laying around?

11) Headlamp squirters: The physical components of course can be fitted, but is this ruled out because of a firmware difference?

Thank you for any comments you may have on the above, and please let me know if I have left out any differences between models.  Apologies in advance if these are dumb questions.

Cheers all!
Last edit: 30 Sep 2022 19:01 by Motacilla.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Oct 2022 21:48 #245269 by DennisJimny
Replied by DennisJimny on topic Gen4 LCV to SZ5 spec
Hi I have a new Uk spec LCV, also have done some upgrades above in the last few weeks,
I have added heated seats but used a Brit part heated seat kit as I had used one before fairly easy to do with some basic wiring knowledge supply came from fuse 15
Rear speakers the e call system is not in the back so it was a plug and play with a kit …upgrade the front speakers as well
Radio got a system from sigma car radio …fits exactly and is the same shape ….plug and play except you lose the original USB …I believe you can get this fixed with a connects 2 system but have not done it yet….now have wireless apple CarPlay and a reverse camera
Got a set of alloys off eBay and had them recoloured to Matt black
Finally check if your wing mirrors are heated ..if not you might want to change to the sZ5 ones which are …available from the big Jimny store

72 Plate Kinetic Yellow LCV, YokoYama Geolander AT, heated seats, Apple CarPlay,

More
02 Oct 2022 08:29 #245271 by Motacilla
Replied by Motacilla on topic Gen4 LCV to SZ5 spec
That is very interesting, thank you for the details of your projects.  I wanted to original SZ5 style radio (Bosch?) because I want to fit the rear view camera, but perhaps it is better to go with an aftermarket radio and camera like you have done.

Good pointers on the rear speakers too.  I must have misunderstood some posts on the forum about the Ecall system.

I forgot about the heated mirrors.  My dealer is unclear on some of the details of the LCV so I will have to check that.  Heated everything is desirable where I live, for sure.

Sounds like you have a cool project going.  The alloy wheels would be very cool in black, post some photos if you get a chance.  Thanks again!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mack120

More
08 Mar 2023 15:07 #247975 by Mack120
Replied by Mack120 on topic Gen4 LCV to SZ5 spec
Wondering how you got on with the modifications.
Ideally would like speaker upgrades. Have you replaced the header unit. I'was toyong with it but £3-400 pound for car play doesn't seem with that expense.

More
08 Mar 2023 15:09 #247976 by Mack120
Replied by Mack120 on topic Gen4 LCV to SZ5 spec
Forgot to ask what heated seat pack did you use

More
09 Mar 2023 10:41 #247990 by ajsms999
Replied by ajsms999 on topic Gen4 LCV to SZ5 spec
Hi Mack120,
I have all these items for sale (as self fit kits) all genuine Suzuki - having recently sold my LCV.
I have sent you a PM.
Thanks
Andrew

More
10 Mar 2023 12:25 #248010 by Motacilla
Hullo Mack,

I've been collecting parts together for the last couple of months. I managed to snag a head unit from an SZ5 Jimny for only 30€ needing repair (I am a little bit of an electronics geek so no problem) but you are correct that they are generally in the 300-400GBP range. I would buy Andrew's if I were in the UK and wanted to make that mod.

The head unit itself is not really that impressive, being decade-old tech at this point, but it does allow camera and Carplay/AndroidAuto.

Alloy wheel prices are all over the place, but if you're patient there are some deals to be found. I picked up a set in Germany on a recent visit for cheap.

LED headlights are a nonstarter on the LCV in my opinion. It would need more than just the (expensive) light units themselves. There is an aftermarket LED bulb by Osram that will fit the halogen housing, though I suspect the results are not quite to the level of the proper Suzuki LED units.

The trim stuff (door handles, interior chrome) I have been watching for in the small ads, because dealer prices are rather more than I want to pay.

The one thing I haven't made any progress on is the headlight squirters, and I would really like to have those. The front bumper is different, having the holes for the squirters and, possibly, holding points for the washer fluid tubing. The washer fluid reservoir is the same, I believe, with a third fluid pump replacing a bung on the bottom of the LCV's reservoir. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong about the pump placement.) Once the mechanical parts are in place, it's just a matter of doing a little bespoke wiring to the dashboard and placing a switch in one of the blank spaces.

For heated seats, I already had those as they are standard in EU LCV models as far as I can tell. But again Andrew has a "kit" from his LCV for sale, which he assembled from proper Suzuki parts, so that's the best way to go in my view. Should be a straightforward mod, and 100% worth it-- lots of heat on a cold winters morning.

More
10 Mar 2023 18:55 #248021 by Roger Fairclough
At the front of the washer bottle there are the two pumps that supply w/screen and rear window. On the side adjacent the ex. manifold there is a larger pump that does the h/lamp washer. From memory you need the h/lamps on to clean the lamps when you clean the w/screen.
I fitted a heater to warm the water for the windscreen and you may find it useful for your colder weather. You may be able to find the info. and pictures if you do a search in the history files, if not, give me a shout.

Roger

More
10 Mar 2023 19:38 #248022 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic Gen4 LCV to SZ5 spec
Great work so far on the modifications.
But
Wouldn't it have been a lot easier just to buy a low mileage SZ5?

More
13 Mar 2023 19:07 #248047 by Motacilla
Roger, thanks for the notes on the headlight washers.

I'm planning to plumb a separate switch into the dash for the washers when I get to that point. I find that I need them rather frequently given the amount of driving I do on snowy country roads.

I do remember your heater device. I've only had a couple of days when it got cold enough for the fluid to begin to freeze -- this winter had plenty of snow but only a few days of really low temps. But it's definitely something on my list.

Thanks again.

More
12 Jul 2023 11:48 #249850 by ObsessiveMonk
Replied by ObsessiveMonk on topic Gen4 LCV to SZ5 spec
Sorry to reply to this as the thread is a little old, but I want to fit some rear speakers to my '21 plate LCV.  Suzuki have said that they cannot fit speakers in to the back as there are no speaker wires running in the back.  Does anyone know if this is the case or if I am being given the wrong info by Suzuki.

Thanks All,

More
12 Jul 2023 12:26 #249851 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Gen4 LCV to SZ5 spec
Wrong info, wires are in place ( certainly on 2021 LCV)

Sent from my ThinkPhone by motorola using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: ObsessiveMonk

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds