BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Front Head Lamp mounting and metal work - prolonging the life...

More
31 Aug 2022 21:34 #244819 by Sirjamesrusty
Hi Folks,

On my last MOT I had advisories on my front headlamp mounting and metal work and know these are the areas that are prone to rust on the Jimny. Its not too bad under the bonnet - I'll stick some pics up in the morning light but I wondered about getting a small paintbrush and dusting the rust lightly off the mounts and then maybe coating or spraying in something that might get me better prepared for the winter - and I live near the sea so I wanted to try and help with that too! Any tips and tricks will be great as usual. Chris.

I'm starting my Jimny experience as a complete novice on a 2008 Jimny VVTS...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
01 Sep 2022 04:17 #244823 by Lambert
Anything is better than nothing when it comes to rust, the trick is in the preparation of the surface being treated and getting to clean metal and not just covering it over. There's a lot of products and twice as many opinions on the best, find one or more you can afford and expect to reapply over the life of the Jimny.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sirjamesrusty

More
10 Sep 2022 05:44 - 10 Sep 2022 10:06 #244915 by Mike G
Getting in about there is a bit fiddly, best getting as much rust off as you can and then use a rust converter to try to slow down the decay.  Once it's converted, a few coats of your preferred paint system on top should keep it presentable.

2" Trailmaster suspension lift, 2"body lift, snorkel, full breather kit, 29" steel wheels with BFG tyres, tinted rear windows, CRT CB radio with modulator antenna mounted on rear, dog cage and tray in the back.
Last edit: 10 Sep 2022 10:06 by Mike G.

Time to create page: 0.080 seconds