BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Bonnet and grille compatibility with Japan only models.

• redoregan
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Aug 2022 17:13 #244401 by redoregan
Hello, guys.

I'm trying to get a real answer as to whether the bonnet and grille off a 2007(ish) Japanese 0.6 kei car is compatible with a 2008 Irish/UK Jimny of the style we're all familiar with.

Sorry if this has been asked and answered already. I did look but couldn't find the answer to this specific question.

Thanks a lot.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
05 Aug 2022 19:00 #244403 by Lambert
Welcome to the forum. I assume you are looking at the kei version with the offset bonnet scoop. I don't know for sure having never directly examined one but I think they are different, not that that means you couldn't make one fit but I don't think it's a straightforward swapping thing. I know that getting a kei front bumper to fit is not straightforward as I wanted to increase the approach angle of my last jimny but the juice wasn't worth the squeeze.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: redoregan

• redoregan
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Aug 2022 19:44 - 05 Aug 2022 21:15 #244405 by redoregan

Welcome to the forum. I assume you are looking at the kei version with the offset bonnet scoop. I don't know for sure having never directly examined one but I think they are different, not that that means you couldn't make one fit but I don't think it's a straightforward swapping thing. I know that getting a kei front bumper to fit is not straightforward as I wanted to increase the approach angle of my last jimny but the juice wasn't worth the squeeze.

Thanks a mil for the welcome and the reply, mate.

Actually it's the separate grille and median scoop I'm after.
postimg.cc/MMKPF5b1 
File Attachment:

I wouldn't expect the bumper to work anyway because of the wheel arches, but looking at this bonnet, they do look the same. I know the facelift model one does not work and I can see why based on the shape. Perhaps someone with more experience with Jims might see what I can't in that image, though?

Anyway, thanks very much for the input. I'll confess I'm still holding out hope. I might try my luck on JP forums, I suppose. They'll probably tell me exactly what you told me, but still, worth a try.
Last edit: 05 Aug 2022 21:15 by redoregan.

More
05 Aug 2022 20:21 - 05 Aug 2022 20:22 #244406 by Keithy
Doubtful....not tried it myself so can't say for sure.....I keep playing with the appearance of the Jimny....... 
Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Aug 2022 20:22 by Keithy.

• redoregan
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Aug 2022 20:34 #244407 by redoregan
Ah, looks interesting mate.

I've done my best to communicate what I'm asking to some Japanese Jimny heads on social so I'll see if they get back to me and I'll let you know what they say. I mean, this particular model looks like it should fit to my eyes, but I'm probably seeing things.

Thanks a lot.

• redoregan
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Aug 2022 14:06 #244417 by redoregan
So just a quick follow-up. I've been playing a bit of internet charades with Japanese Jimny owners of Gen 2s, 3s and 4s, and I'm getting all thumbs up about this. It's still not an actual yes, though! I'm not sure if it's just that they approve of the question! I'll wait and see.

More
07 Aug 2022 10:47 #244429 by Darthblaker7474
Yes they will fit, it a similar bonnet as the DDiS version just with an actual intake rather than a blanking plate as the intercooler is mounted above the rocker panel. And of course there's none of the square grilles we're used to over here. 

The mounting holes for the replacement grille are already there on there on the slam panel as seen in my video

• redoregan
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Aug 2022 14:36 #244431 by redoregan

Yes they will fit, it a similar bonnet as the DDiS version just with an actual intake rather than a blanking plate as the intercooler is mounted above the rocker panel. And of course there's none of the square grilles we're used to over here. 

The mounting holes for the replacement grille are already there on there on the slam panel as seen in my video

Thanks so much, mate. I owe you a drink! Yeah, I thought so, looking at it. I've been staring at them side by side for months, and I did think it'd fit but it's a lot of money for postage if you're not sure. Great news. Cheers, mate. Delighted.

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds