BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

raidator for a 2005 vvt m13a

More
12 Jul 2022 11:08 #244063 by monstarghs
hey peeps,

been looking online for info on the OEM radiator and can find little info about it other than external sizing, what im looking for is the core size and how many rows it has, thinking about swapping out to a full aluminum core but want to know what should be fitted as OEM spec, currently have a very hard to diagnose issue with overheating but only at highway speeds (greater than 80km/h) having the cabin heater on at 3rd fan setting solves the overheating and i have no loss of coolant or if i do have it overheat and have the coolant overflow fill up a little (its at full currently and max 3/4 full when overheating before i turn cabin heater on) all the coolant gets sucked back after the system cools, have so far had changed before i got it head gasket, water pump, radiator (hence why im trying to find out if the one fitted is not up to spec), since having the car i've changed the clutch fan and thermostat and have also done a full coolant swap and flush.
my buddies are perplexed to what the issue could be, and the things i found online are super vague about the internals of the radiator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jul 2022 13:05 #244064 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic raidator for a 2005 vvt m13a
£38 eBay special on my1600 and there are no cooling issues at all and it is driven harder than most. For that money I'd swap it just to rule it out...

sniper

More
12 Jul 2022 13:40 #244065 by monstarghs
do you mind if i ask how many rows it has? and how many your old radiator had? if you remember?

More
12 Jul 2022 21:11 #244072 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic raidator for a 2005 vvt m13a
If the problem was there before they swapped the radiator, and is still there afterwards, then you can be pretty sure it's not the radiator. I replaced my highly corroded but still effective original radiator with a cheap ebay one and it's completely fine. That's with a 1.6 regulalrly towing 1100kg at 100km/h.
Did you fit a new radiator cap with the radiator?
And what do you class as overheating? Running slightly warmer than normal or heading straight into the red?

More
13 Jul 2022 07:54 #244075 by monstarghs
the thing is i dont know what caused the first issue, and while you got a cheap ebay radiator what kind did you get how many rows does it have, the one thats in currently is a single row and the actual metal bit is half the size of the plastic tanks.
temp will stay below half at anything under 80km/h but over 3krpm the temp will build until its in the red and the coolant catch starts to fill.
ive done a complete system flush and after draining the radiator and then refilling it only took 1.6L to fill the raidator, and that to me seems way to little for a supposed 5L system

More
13 Jul 2022 13:23 #244077 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic raidator for a 2005 vvt m13a
Mine is 2 rows of 24 pipes. The metal bit is about 25mm wide.

More
14 Jul 2022 04:10 #244081 by monstarghs
The one I have in currently is a single row about 18-20 mm wide, makes me think I'm missing like 30% cooling compared to yours

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds