BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suspension( not the usual questions though)

More
24 Jun 2022 20:21 - 24 Jun 2022 20:22 #243806 by Basketcase
My jimny has standard suspension all round I’m looking to upgrade the shocks and springs soon as they’re looking tired and rusty. The Jim has a front winch bumper(built by nige Gleadon) and 9500lb winch ( no idea of the weight but I guess it’s bloody heavy.) what would any of you suggest I use on the front for new springs/ shocks could potentially do a lift but I know I don’t need one and then I’d also need bigger tyres so it didn’t look stupid.

any ideas or advice would be great 
cheers
Last edit: 24 Jun 2022 20:22 by Basketcase. Reason: Spelling errors

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jun 2022 22:36 #243811 by sniper
I'm on Eibach +30mm springs and am very happy with their performance. The +30mm would likely be compressed a little by the winch/bumper but it should be above standard ride height... Very good springs...

sniper

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
25 Jun 2022 11:35 #243813 by Lambert
I understand that Tein do an adjustable spring and damper kit that offers a minimal lift between 10 and 20 ish mm the adjustment of which could be used to compensate the weight of the bumper. Can't remember where I saw the link though.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
25 Jun 2022 17:41 #243823 by Basketcase
When I had one of my last jimny’s a guy I know had loads of measurements of different springs off different cars that could potentially fit and give a lift of some kind but I’m happy with it as standard height. Just feels like the front is sagging with the extra weight 

More
26 Jun 2022 03:27 #243827 by fordem
Old Man Emu (OME) - over the years I've lifted (and lowered) several vehicles, I've used H&R for lowering, & Dobinsons & OME for lifting.

OME markets their product as a suspension upgrade rather than a lift with a specific focus on compensating for increased weight of accessories such as a winch, rather than just increasing ride height.

I'm currently running OME on my Grand Vitara and have been very satisfied with the product, I will eventually fit it to my Gen4 but it's still in the early warranty period.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Basketcase

More
27 Jun 2022 20:10 #243862 by Basketcase
I’ve had a look online for omu springs for gen 3 jimny but none seem to be anywhere do you know if they do them for the gen 3?

More
27 Jun 2022 20:12 #243863 by Basketcase
Or would spring spacers just on the front do anything? Years ago people suggested using the springs off the diesel jimny when you have a winch etc on front does anyone know if they’re different?

More
28 Jun 2022 00:40 #243864 by fordem

I’ve had a look online for omu springs for gen 3 jimny but none seem to be anywhere do you know if they do them for the gen 3?

Attachments:

More
28 Jun 2022 00:56 #243865 by fordem

Or would spring spacers just on the front do anything? Years ago people suggested using the springs off the diesel jimny when you have a winch etc on front does anyone know if they’re different?

The petrol engines front coils are 41111-81A30, for the diesel 41111-84A00, so different part numbers, I can't tell you what the differences are, but they are different, and most likely because the diesel is going to be a heavier engine.- the springs could either be stiffer or longer.

Look at the chart above, you'll notice that OME recommends a 2965 spring for the front of a petrol engined Jimny with 35~85 kg of additional weight, and the same spring for a diesel engined Jimny with 0~35 kgs of additional weight, this is a pretty good indication of how much heavier the diesel engine is, and how much additional weight you could put on the front a petrol engined Jimny of you could find a set of diesel springs.

Spacers can be used to return the ride height to close to stock, but they will not compensate for other impacts the additional weight will have - you said you were looking for an "upgrade", spacers won't be much of an upgrade, a set of OME springs & shocks all around will, and just my opinion, would be money well spent.

One last thing - you won't be spending any money with me, so you know this is not an "up sell".
The following user(s) said Thank You: Basketcase

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds