BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

How long before I fry the clutch?

More
15 Apr 2022 11:39 #242905 by marbit37
Sorry in advance if this is not the correct place or it has been asked before, but I pretty much didn't find a thread where this question is described in detail.
I am bent on putting 235s on my gen4. That includes lifting and re gear, also maybe replacing the breaks. Since this whole project will potentially cost a lot, I am planning to do things step by step.
How long can I go with 235s and lift only before burning the clutch or damaging something? I got 9100 kms on it in this first year, of which 15% have been on the highway, 35/40% off road and the rest city driving. If it's a must, then I guess I could do the lift first and then put the bigger tires and change the gears.
As for why I am doing it, so far I've never had problems with traction, only with clearance in ruts and in deep mud.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2022 12:09 #242907 by jackonlyjack
It will depend how you drive clutch wise
will 29's not fit on standard suspension ?
having relatively new suspension fitted i would fit spring spacers/shock relocation brackets (i never usually say this)
but you money would be better spent on gearing

More
15 Apr 2022 12:12 - 15 Apr 2022 12:15 #242908 by marbit37
They will fit, but they will rub eventually when flexing.Plenty of people have them without lift, but they don't do hardcore off road. Plenty of people also run them without re gear, but this forum has scared me into not doing that :D
Last edit: 15 Apr 2022 12:15 by marbit37.

More
15 Apr 2022 12:22 #242910 by jackonlyjack
I have 32's on my gen3 with re gear. recently changed my clutch (not slipping but had engine out)
I have had jimny 5 years so the clutch could have been 10+ years old 
gearing is the key to clutch life 

More
15 Apr 2022 12:24 #242911 by fordem
Saying you want to put 235's on a gen4 is telling us half the story, 235 is a tread width, you could run something like a 235/60R15 or a 235/65R15 and it would be close enough to the original (195/80R15) tire diameter that the gearing would not be affected.

I understand that is not your intent, but you haven't given us enough detail to work with - the only recommendation I could make based on what you've given us is that you'll need a wider rim - the OE rim is a 5.5x15 and the widest tire you can fit (based on the tire manufacturer recommendations is a 215.

There are, at least to me, no "hard & fast" rules on the need to re-gear, I've worked out my own "parameters" which are based on a larger heavier vehicle with a larger engine (Grand Vitara with a 2.0 engine) - anything over 5~6% increase in tire size will make for a noticeable hit in acceleration on the flat, and at that point, if you're frequently in hilly terrain (I am not), you'll be needing to go down a gear lower than you would have on OE sized tires.

Whether or not it will "fry the clutch" is going to be dependent on driving style, and the terrain you're driving. How often do you find yourself in a situation where you need to slip/ride the clutch?

I've been running oversized tires (first 225/70R16s and now 235/70R16s) on the GV for the better part of a decade and the clutch does not appear to be any worse for it.

More
15 Apr 2022 12:27 #242912 by jackonlyjack

Saying you want to put 235's on a gen4 is telling us half the story, 235 is a tread width, you could run something like a 235/60R15 or a 235/65R15 and it would be close enough to the original (195/80R15) tire diameter that the gearing would not be affected.

I understand that is not your intent, but you haven't given us enough detail to work with - the only recommendation I could make based on what you've given us is that you'll need a wider rim - the OE rim is a 5.5x15 and the widest tire you can fit (based on the tire manufacturer recommendations is a 215.

There are, at least to me, no "hard & fast" rules on the need to re-gear, I've worked out my own "parameters" which are based on a larger heavier vehicle with a larger engine (Grand Vitara with a 2.0 engine) - anything over 5~6% increase in tire size will make for a noticeable hit in acceleration on the flat, and at that point, if you're frequently in hilly terrain (I am not), you'll be needing to go down a gear lower than you would have on OE sized tires.

Whether or not it will "fry the clutch" is going to be dependent on driving style, and the terrain you're driving. How often do you find yourself in a situation where you need to slip/ride the clutch?

I've been running oversized tires (first 225/70R16s and now 235/70R16s) on the GV for the better part of a decade and the clutch does not appear to be any worse for it.

235/75/15 will be what he's saying 

The following user(s) said Thank You: marbit37

More
15 Apr 2022 12:44 - 15 Apr 2022 12:50 #242913 by marbit37
You are completely right, don't know why I didn't specify the full dimensions, 235/75/15.
Update: I tend not to ride the clutch often, I used to before but forced myself not to do it. And as for the hills I happen to drive in a hilly terrain.
Last edit: 15 Apr 2022 12:50 by marbit37.

More
15 Apr 2022 13:09 #242914 by fordem
A 235/75R15 would be right on the borderline (5.8%) of where I would be considering a re-gear - where I am, I can live with it, since you're in hilly terrain, you might find it necessary - or you might be able to get away with shifting one gear lower down in the hills (second instead of third) - try it and see.

You will be harder on the clutch that I would, but that's because of the hills - if they are steep enough I guess it could become a problem.
The following user(s) said Thank You: marbit37

More
18 Apr 2022 08:26 #242966 by marbit37
Thanks guys I will try the bigger tires and lift and see how it works. But will re gear eventually soon, maybe also get a throttle controller to help with acceleration.

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds