BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Rust in Engine bay - 2006 JLX

More
07 Jan 2022 02:46 #240950 by JC1990
Hi all, looking to pick up one of these beauties. A car I'm very interested in however has some rust spots under the washer pump and along an adjacent seam weld (I think). Is this a typical area for rusting in the jimny and what are peoples thoughts on the extend of rusting? Car has lived in a coastal city it's whole life.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
  • Away
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
07 Jan 2022 08:16 #240954 by Lambert
Welcome to the forum. Personally I would be a little suspicious of buying a car from the coast regardless of age and condition or even manufacturer, too many unknowns. As to the rust on that one, it looks like a fairly new car by the condition of the sound proof mat which worries me with the rust? What age is it exactly?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Lambert
  • Away
    Registered
More
07 Jan 2022 08:22 #240955 by Lambert
Sorry just re read the title. If that is the only rust on a 06 which I doubt very much, then maybe but I really would keep looking. Have a read through the information section on the top banner for more details on buying.

The following user(s) said Thank You: JC1990

More
07 Jan 2022 09:25 - 07 Jan 2022 09:26 #240956 by Scimike
It's not one of the normal rust points, but then even these can be erratic. Looks like a bad day for the seam sealer robot at the factory. It could be nothing, but have a feel around to see if it's surface or rot, have a look inside the vehicle under the dash from the other side if you can. This will involve a torch and much contortion
As Lambert said, I would be surprised if that's all you can find on an 06. Under the front headlamps, the body / chassis mount is number 1, but difficult to see. If you have rust streaks on the front of the arch liners (side facing bumper) or rust appearing under the headlamps viewed from within the engine bay it's likely these have rusted. Next is the rear chassis / body mount behind front wheel, then A pillar body mount. 
It helps if you can get it on a car lift to inspect, the garage from which I purchased mine were happy to do this.
That said if that is the only rust you can find it's probably a good one, they do exist.
Hope it is and welcome along.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 07 Jan 2022 09:26 by Scimike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JC1990

More
08 Jan 2022 03:11 #240968 by JC1990
Thanks Scimike and Lambert.

Had a mechanic check it out as it's out of state. Appears to be a front diff issue also as the car makes noise when transferred into 4wd.

Need to have a ponder.

More
08 Jan 2022 20:59 #240981 by Dirtbird
WALK AWAY

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.

More
13 Jan 2022 08:13 #241084 by JC1990
Not the first sensible advice I've ignored! Proud owner of a beige 2006 jimny. But I wanted a project and I got it for a 'reasonable' price. Plus I've wanted a Jimny for years.

Rust is confined to the spot as far as I can tell, and it doesn't look like or feel rotten yet.

Diff seams fine to me. No issues or noises in H or L range. Selects easily.

Little bugger made it from Sydney to Melbourne largely successfully. Did spit out a bit of oil from what looks like the output end of the gearbox.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dirtbird

More
13 Jan 2022 14:38 #241091 by Dirtbird
jC1990 I take it back that's a really good test of a Jimny

Did you take any pictures of the trip? 
Mine came from Scotland,Land of the Brave home of the free and one place I'm going back to what a beautiful place.

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.
Attachments:

• Lambert
  • Away
    Registered
More
13 Jan 2022 17:52 #241099 by Lambert
Ah Australia. That explains it. In the salt and rain infested British Isles that car would definitely have more problems. Good luck with your new purchase.

More
14 Jan 2022 01:32 #241110 by JC1990
Thanks both!

Unfortunately the drive between Syd and Melb isn't the most picturesque the route if you stick to the main hwy, especially compared to what I've seen of the Scottish roadways.

More
15 Jan 2022 23:09 #241192 by Dirtbird
JC wrong response man, you should have come back with a big lie-filled story of breakdowns, whittling components out of eucalyptus trees and kangaroos skipping off to get help in a far off property. How you drank the water out of your windscreen washer bottle. That's how we think you lads exist down there always a step away from a near-catastrophic adventure but coming out of it with a shrug of the shoulder and as if nothing happened.

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds