BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

04 gen 3 fuel issue

• littleredjim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 May 2021 15:57 #234896 by littleredjim
04 gen 3 fuel issue was created by littleredjim
hi everyone im recently new to owning a jimny, all was well for the first couple of days then got back from a 15 min drive parked her up and she cut out just whilst ticking over, checked alll the usual stuff and come to the conclusion that it wasnt getting any fuel! [yes it has fuel ] i checked the relay and that seems fine so ive also gone ahead and changed the fuel pump however that hasnt solved anything!! has anybody else had a problem like this or have any suggestions please help me out im dying to get out in it after owning it nearly a month and only using it twice lol ! thanks in advance 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
06 May 2021 16:02 #234897 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic 04 gen 3 fuel issue
When you say checked the usual stuff what are you including? Have you checked the cam/crank sensor?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• littleredjim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 May 2021 16:06 #234898 by littleredjim
Replied by littleredjim on topic 04 gen 3 fuel issue
thats only thing i havent however i did forget to mention i ran a temporary inline pump just to see if it would start and it did but would only tick over as it was a weak pump

More
06 May 2021 16:58 #234900 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic 04 gen 3 fuel issue
Fuel filter?

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

• littleredjim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 May 2021 17:01 #234902 by littleredjim
its had a whole new fuel unit in mate so that shouldnt be an issue

More
06 May 2021 20:27 #234904 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic 04 gen 3 fuel issue
If it's is lack of fuel - I would guess the fuel relay is not seeing engine pulses and shutting down, so it's the pulse generation route (not sure how this is achieved on a Jimny) or the relay. Have you tried hard wiring the fuel pump as a test?
Just throwing in some ideas without the benefit of a circuit diagram.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• littleredjim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 May 2021 20:49 #234905 by littleredjim
Hmm I'm not clued up with anything electrical to be fair bud so i wouldn't a clue where to start, I have a few pals in the plant mechanic trade that usually help me out! , as for hard wiring the pump, that was my next plan of action and am I right in understanding if that works I could run it to a switch and leave as a permanent fix ? I understand this wouldn't be ideal but it could prevent anyone starting the car if they were ever to try and pinch it!
Thanks

More
06 May 2021 22:41 - 06 May 2021 23:05 #234906 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic 04 gen 3 fuel issue
Yes it should be possible to run the pump through a switch. I did this for my mates Porsche 924 as it needed the pump running to prime the system for a few seconds before he started it. This was simply fuel running back to the tank as it stood, a symptom of a worn out fuel system. Unfortunately the Porsche fuel relay would cut out almost instantly if the engine was not running, so it would not prime.
He now has a hidden switch which also, as you say, acts as a security device.
You may want to fit a "crash" kill switch in series if you make this permanent fixture, this is performs the same function in a crash as a pulsed fuel relay.
Example
www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08KTDB8V9/ref=cm_sw..._encoding=UTF8&psc=1 
They don't cost much. Best doing all this via a standard relay and use this to switch the pump, again only if it's a permanent fix.
I've not studied the Jimny system so don't know if it has a pulsed relay or it's directly under ECU control. The fact it ran with the temp pump suggests even if it is ECU controlled bypassing does not cause any other issues.
Good luck
Mike  

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 06 May 2021 23:05 by Scimike.

• littleredjim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 May 2021 06:46 #234909 by littleredjim
Great think ill go ahead at the weekend and hard wire it in then, if this does fix the problem then I will fit a crash switch as I definitely don't want it going up in flames if anything ever does happen lol ! If this doesn't work then I haven't got a clue but I'm pretty sure its electrical as I don't hear the pump prime or make any sort of noise at all ! Ill update this post as soon as I've tackled it.
Thanks very much for your help!
Luke.

More
07 May 2021 12:41 #234910 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic 04 gen 3 fuel issue
You might find these two links of some use, especially the second one.

www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/6-jimny...ump-will-not-kick-in

suzukijimny.automotive-manuals.com/S8R70A1124061.html

I can't find the fuel pump relay on my wiring diagram, I don't know if this helps, it might be for a Jimny or might be generic.

www.autozone.com/znetrgs/repair_guide_co...0900c15280088336.gif

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds