BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

ABS pump bleed

More
10 Apr 2021 18:11 - 10 Apr 2021 18:18 #234374 by Mike G
ABS pump bleed was created by Mike G
Evening all,

Just wondered if anyone else has used a tool like the 'Autel MaxiCheck Pro' to prime and bleed the ABS pump. 

Autel MaxiCheck Pro

I was considering buying one, but the instruction manual (available on the link page) states Suzuki vehicles are supported for this function, however, for the advertisement on the page, it shows more detail and appears to me that only Asian market Suzukis are only supported (perhaps I read that wrong and it means all Asian companies).  Thought I'd check anyone else had one or similar before I parted with more cash.  It would be nice to have a fault code reader and code clearer.

2" Trailmaster suspension lift, 2"body lift, snorkel, full breather kit, 29" steel wheels with BFG tyres, tinted rear windows, CRT CB radio with modulator antenna mounted on rear, dog cage and tray in the back.
Last edit: 10 Apr 2021 18:18 by Mike G.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
10 Apr 2021 18:38 #234379 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic ABS pump bleed
Can't say I've needed such a thing but I guess it could be useful?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
10 Apr 2021 18:49 #234380 by Mike G
Replied by Mike G on topic ABS pump bleed
Unfortunately I've let my brakes bleed out, so the master cylinder and ABS pump are empty. I'll need to prime both. The master cylinder should be easy enough, but the only way I can (safely) prime the ABS without accidentally shorting something out is by having a handy tool. I'm sure there's some magic that can be done if you have pinouts, but I think I'll just invest a tool to do it.

2" Trailmaster suspension lift, 2"body lift, snorkel, full breather kit, 29" steel wheels with BFG tyres, tinted rear windows, CRT CB radio with modulator antenna mounted on rear, dog cage and tray in the back.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
10 Apr 2021 19:08 #234381 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic ABS pump bleed
I had to replace a line which allowed the whole lot to drain and it bled up relatively easily just took several goes with 2 of us.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
10 Apr 2021 19:49 - 10 Apr 2021 19:49 #234382 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic ABS pump bleed
I have an Autel Maxi Link ML629, I bought it to reset the Airbag light light on my other car, worked really well.

I am not sure that mine will do what you want but the Autel code readers do work pretty well and if it says it will do it, it most likely will. I could try it on my Gen3 if you want, to see if it reads everything?

Robin

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Last edit: 10 Apr 2021 19:49 by DrRobin.

More
10 Apr 2021 19:54 #234383 by DrRobin
ML629 says it reads and resets ABS, quite happy to try it on my Gen3 if you want?

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

More
10 Apr 2021 20:37 #234384 by Mike G
Excellent. Thanks. Very much Dr. Robin.

I know it's not the same unit, but I think I might just buy the pro version. I can always return it if it doesn't have the functionality. If it talks to and resets the abs, hopefully it should bleed the pump.

More
10 Apr 2021 20:39 #234386 by Mike G
Lambert,

My jimny has been sitting empty for months and I've done nothing to prevent the brake fluid from leaking out. I just dont want to take the chance of having spongey brakes when I most need them. Plus I do like a new gadget.

More
11 Apr 2021 08:02 - 11 Apr 2021 08:04 #234389 by Mike G
Ok, 

So on further inspection, with a budget based hat on and thinking about what I actually need the tool for (which is to bleed the ABS pump only), there is a cheaper option at (present) for £50.   

Autel AP200C

The AP200C seems to have the ABS bleeding functionality, so I've bought one of them, should arrive in a week or so. I think it will reset ABS up to a year of activation, after that I believe you have to pay a subscription fee, however, the likelyhood that I'll be doing anything with it again is low. 

There are two other versions of this product the AP200H and AP200M, but these don't have the ABS function and also you can only use them on one manufacturer brand per license, as far as I can make out.

I'll let you all know how I get on with it.

Attachments:
Last edit: 11 Apr 2021 08:04 by Mike G.

More
11 Apr 2021 08:50 #234391 by DrRobin
The Autel dongle looks pretty good, things must have moved on since I bought my Autel (last year), I didn’t see this model so perhaps it wasn’t sold then.

By not having a display and keyboard it makes it a lot cheaper to produce, but should just work the same and as you say it mentions ABS bleed.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

More
11 Apr 2021 09:17 - 11 Apr 2021 09:19 #234392 by Mike G
I went down the rabbit hole of youtube OBDII reader recommendations and ended up finding it, otherwise I'd have never seen it.  I would have prefered a physical device like yours as I don't trust the longevity of app support due to the ever changing hardware platform and app stores hosting apps are never a guarantee, even if they are paid.  But as it's not something I'll use a lot and as long as I keep the phone that I know it works on, it should work in the future.  On the plus side, it does make it easier to update.

£50 was the hook for me.  I've seen them at around £80. But I might have still went for the pro at that price.  The reason I didn't go for the model you had was that it doesn't appear to have the brake bleed capability (as far as I could tell without using it).  But I might find that the one I get doesn't bleed the ABS on the jimny, however, time will tell and I'll post an update once I know for sure.  

Last edit: 11 Apr 2021 09:19 by Mike G.

More
11 Apr 2021 10:35 #234396 by DrRobin
Just tested my Maxi Link on my Gen 3, it scanned for the protocol and then correctly connected using KWP 2000 and read all of the fault codes as well as live data.

Mine doesn’t have the ABS bleed function so if it works on your dongle that is a definite plus.

I have no doubt that your dongle and software will work just fine.

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds