BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Diff lockers

More
20 Jan 2021 17:21 #231995 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Re:Re:Diff lockers
The main downside of a front locker is the extra strain it puts on the front axle, but for conscientous users who aren't running massive tyres and aren't trying to get stuck on purpose that's less of an issue.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jan 2021 18:47 #232002 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Re:Re:Diff lockers
A full front locker will prevent normal steering. Both front wheels will be turning at the same speed and will attempt to go in a straight line and this promotes scrabbling and this is what generates the extra stresses within the axle assembly.

Roger

More
20 Jan 2021 19:35 - 20 Jan 2021 19:37 #232004 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Re:Re:Diff lockers
A locked front diff will make the steering heavier but the car will go where the front wheels are pointing. A locked rear diff will try to push the car straight ahead regardless of which way the front wheels are pointing.
Last edit: 20 Jan 2021 19:37 by Busta.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lookonimages

More
20 Jan 2021 19:50 #232005 by lookonimages
Replied by lookonimages on topic Re:Re:Re:Diff lockers

Roger Fairclough wrote: A full front locker will prevent normal steering. Both front wheels will be turning at the same speed and will attempt to go in a straight line and this promotes scrabbling and this is what generates the extra stresses within the axle assembly.

Roger

Yes indeed but only when engaged (eg ARB). As an overlander this will only be used to get out of trouble. Maybe 0.0001% of vehicle life.
And being stuck you will be either in mud or sand or just to clear an extreme cross axle scenario. Neither surfaces going to lock up drivetrain. No one aims to "drive" with front lockers activated for extended period. In my case it is to be used in an emergency only to get out of trouble.

Different aspect for serious offroaders.

But the gen4 with its new traction control system almost equates lockers to a certain extend.

AS IS the gen4 jimny is an incredible and capable 4x4 already and adding lockers you must have money laying around or be a serious offroader to spend that kinda money.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

More
20 Jan 2021 19:52 #232006 by lookonimages
Replied by lookonimages on topic Re:Re:Re:Diff lockers

Busta wrote: A locked front diff will make the steering heavier but the car will go where the front wheels are pointing. A locked rear diff will try to push the car straight ahead regardless of which way the front wheels are pointing.

Exactly correct

More
20 Jan 2021 20:45 #232011 by Roger Fairclough
Maybe I should have written "A full front locker, when engaged". I am happy with the rest of what I said and as I pointed out a fully locked front diff. will promote problems if it is necessary to steer whilst driving the hazard. This is why I would fit something like an Eaton Tru-trac in the front as well as the back. Because they do not fully lock up they do not cause steering problems.
I appreciate that they are not available for the Jimny but there are other makes.

Roger

More
20 Jan 2021 21:43 #232015 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Re:Re:Re:Diff lockers
A Tru Trac is a torsen LSD, just like a Quaife. It, will not provide any drive when one wheel is off the ground, so it's not comparable to a locker. Even with 2 LSDs you can still easily get stuck in cross-axle situatuons. In the sitiations where you would use a front locker (extremely low traction, cross axled or when a wheel is off the ground) the extra steeing load will not be noticed.

If you were to engage a front locker on a dry tarmac road it would make steeing hard work. Nobody does that.

More
21 Jan 2021 07:01 #232023 by saxj
Replied by saxj on topic Re:Re:Re:Diff lockers

lookonimages wrote:

Roger Fairclough wrote: A full front locker will prevent normal steering. Both front wheels will be turning at the same speed and will attempt to go in a straight line and this promotes scrabbling and this is what generates the extra stresses within the axle assembly.

Roger

Yes indeed but only when engaged (eg ARB). As an overlander this will only be used to get out of trouble. Maybe 0.0001% of vehicle life.
And being stuck you will be either in mud or sand or just to clear an extreme cross axle scenario. Neither surfaces going to lock up drivetrain. No one aims to "drive" with front lockers activated for extended period. In my case it is to be used in an emergency only to get out of trouble.

But the gen4 with its new traction control system almost equates lockers to a certain extend.

AS IS the gen4 jimny is an incredible and capable 4x4 already and adding lockers you must have money laying around or be a serious offroader to spend that kinda money.

For overlanding with the Gen 4, a locker won't be needed. I did 3500km through Botswana with my Gen 3, and only came across one situation where I nearly got stuck. A gen 4 with the right tyres would not have had an issue getting itself through that mud hole. With the Gen 4, I have done some pretty extreme stuff with just the traction control. That said, on my last trip to the Drakensberg, a rear locker would have been a much better option than the tracion control.

More
21 Jan 2021 07:45 #232026 by lookonimages

saxj wrote:

lookonimages wrote:

Roger

For overlanding with the Gen 4, a locker won't be needed. I did 3500km through Botswana with my Gen 3, and only came across one situation where I nearly got stuck. A gen 4 with the right tyres would not have had an issue getting itself through that mud hole. With the Gen 4, I have done some pretty extreme stuff with just the traction control. That said, on my last trip to the Drakensberg, a rear locker would have been a much better option than the tracion control.

Yes indeed. As said the gen4 with the traction control is a beast already.

Depending on the tax man playing nice this year only when he comes with some sort of present i doubt it will ever really be requirement, but you know us. We like some toys. :)

More
21 Jan 2021 10:41 #232028 by Roger Fairclough
I spent some time emailing Eaton with various questions and always received prompt and knowledgeable answers. One of the questions related to wheel lifting and what would the unit do. The answer was "a quick pull on the handbrake or a dab on the foot brake will activate the system and then it behaves normally".

Roger

More
17 Sep 2023 20:13 #250856 by Imperiumofman
Replied by Imperiumofman on topic Diff lockers
How are you finding your kaisers ?

Time to create page: 0.177 seconds