BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Jimny jb74 pulling to the left

More
11 Aug 2020 22:17 #226538 by Roger Fairclough
If you take both leading arms off and place one on top of the other, all 3 bolt holes should line up. Approach the dealer who supplied the bushes for proper orientation.

roger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Aug 2020 22:56 #226540 by wicho001

Roger Fairclough wrote: If you take both leading arms off and place one on top of the other, all 3 bolt holes should line up. Approach the dealer who supplied the bushes for proper orientation.

roger

Will do. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

More
13 Aug 2020 22:13 #226632 by crash486
Can't you just adjust the steering link with the steering wheel centred or am I missing something?

crash486 JB74W

More
13 Aug 2020 22:25 #226635 by lightning
I had this on our Defender from new, back in 2006.
lt went back to the dealer a few times but they could find nothing wrong.

Eventually l fitted an RTC steering damper and after a slight adjustment the fault was completely cured.

Some would say the fault was masked rather than cured
But everything was checked and there was nothing wrong.
We did over 40,000 miles with the RTC steering damper fitted and it was perfect.

l don't know if you can get one for the Gen 4 Jimny, l've asked the question on this forum.

More
13 Aug 2020 22:33 #226636 by wicho001

crash486 wrote: Can't you just adjust the steering link with the steering wheel centred or am I missing something?

crash486 JB74W

They did but for any reason the car still pull and when I let go the steering wheel it goes slightly to the left. I'm taking the car back on Monday to check the bushes.

More
15 Aug 2020 22:11 #226751 by Grim Reaper
Having just fitted the OME offset bushes today, unless they have got the bushes in upside down (ie the hole at the bottom on the front bush rather than at the top and at the top on the rear bush rather than at the bottom) then there is no way they can be in the wrong position unless the rear bush has been changed for an adjustable one as well.
The way the new bushes are held by the three bolts being in a triangle means they have to be in the right place, the rear bush being fixed means the front bushes can’t rotate as there is no allowance for movement, the rear bush keeps the triangle stable.

More
15 Aug 2020 22:13 #226752 by Grim Reaper
Attachments:

More
16 Aug 2020 00:22 #226755 by wicho001

Grim Reaper wrote: Having just fitted the OME offset bushes today, unless they have got the bushes in upside down (ie the hole at the bottom on the front bush rather than at the top and at the top on the rear bush rather than at the bottom) then there is no way they can be in the wrong position unless the rear bush has been changed for an adjustable one as well.
The way the new bushes are held by the three bolts being in a triangle means they have to be in the right place, the rear bush being fixed means the front bushes can’t rotate as there is no allowance for movement, the rear bush keeps the triangle stable.

Thanks for your reply mate.

I know for sure they are fitted the correct way but maybe one side is not identical to the other causing a weir angle in one side of the axle. I hope that is the case because I don't know what else could it be.

More
16 Aug 2020 04:03 #226762 by Grim Reaper
Measure front to rear wheel centres on each side, they should be the same, if not, slacken the four pinch bolts for the front bushings and correct the difference so both sides are the same then tighten the pinch bolts back up.

More
26 Aug 2020 19:50 #227381 by wicho001
Update:

Car is fixed. The problem was a caster correction bushes install. Put one arm on top of the other and adjusted the angel so both arms where identical.

Thanks for all the help guys.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Busta, Soeley

More
29 Aug 2020 17:10 #227509 by wicho001
Forgot to mention, the steering wheel is slightly to the left, they tried to fix it but they just couldn't.

It's that a common issue when you lift the car?

More
29 Aug 2020 19:01 #227514 by Roger Fairclough
Steering wheel connects to steering column. Column connects to steering box and turns through 90 degrees and exits box via Pitman arm which transmits to nearside hub via the relay rod. This rod has a ball joint at each end . Usually they have a r/hand and a l/hand thread. To centre the wheel you slacken the nut and bolt that lock the ball joints to the tie rod and turn the tie rod to either shorten or lengthen it. When you have the wheel in the correct position you tighten the nuts and bolts. You need to have the wheels in the straight ahead position.
Now, in the land of milk and honey that is all you need to do.
But.
We do not live in the land blah blah blah, so you may find that the ball joint threaded sections are seized solid so you may need to use draconian methods to loosen them off . Personally I would remove the tie rod and use a degree of heat whilst having it clamped in my vice.
But you may live in that land and it all goes smoothly. We can but hope.

Roger

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds