BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Help with aftermarket steering wheel?

More
15 May 2020 20:21 #222289 by Lomax
Evening,

I have a momo wheel to go on. I bought a boss off eBay and went to fit it today. Looking for a little help as I am sure someone has more knowledge than me.

It’s a 2002 model, I got as far as removing the original wheel. There is now a black ring which the airbag wiring goes into. I took the column surround off and removed this, however not sure where and if I am to disconnect all the wires from this?

I also went to trial fit the wheel and the boss rubs against the column surround. Is this common? And last thing.... how do I wire up the horn?

Sorry I should have taken pics, but I put everything back together and gave up!

Any help and pictures appreciated.

Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
16 May 2020 06:11 #222298 by Lambert
Don't know of many people who have changed the steering wheel primarily because of the mot and the need for the dashboard warning lights to operate correctly being part of the test. There's also the insurance to consider too as they like to stretch premium prices for mods that delete safety features such as airbags.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
16 May 2020 08:07 #222306 by kirkynut
The airbag has to be present for the MOT. I'd have got an aftermarket one with a quick release ages ago otherwise and hung it up in the house to stop theft and put it in my locker at work!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
16 May 2020 08:25 #222308 by Lomax
I have a resister to stop the airbag light coming on. If it was to cause an issue at mot time I would put the standard one back on.

Just looking for a little guidance on the wheel fitting.

• jamie_300
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 May 2020 15:13 #222333 by jamie_300
Replied by jamie_300 on topic Help with aftermarket steering wheel?
which boss did you buy off ebay?

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
16 May 2020 15:18 #222335 by Lambert
It's not a matter of the light not being on it needs to demonstrate the checking of functionality on start up.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
16 May 2020 15:29 #222336 by Lomax
Just standard boss for a momo wheel.

I may get the standard wheel trimmed. But I am not really wanting to spend a lot on the jimny.

Thanks for the comments so far.

More
18 May 2020 09:53 #222473 by Lomax
Anyone help?

Thanks Chris

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 May 2020 10:53 #222475 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic Help with aftermarket steering wheel?
I did this to a Toyota Hilux, it might help. Th ribbon or clock cable for the airbag is removed and replaced by a horn plate. The horn plate has a connector for the horn wire and the stops for self cancelling indicators. I was able to buy a genuine Toyota part as in some world markets airbags are not standard. I have no idea if the Jimny fits into that category. You could trawl through all the diagrams on the Megazip store checking all regions (particularly Africa). Failing that you'll have to make something. Chris

More
18 May 2020 16:35 - 18 May 2020 16:37 #222492 by yakuza
Not long ago someone in here described their jimny without many safety features from either a South Asian or South American Market. Just a couple of weeks ago.
I swapped the unpleasant plastic 2005 steering wheel on my jimny to a nice original 2012 jimny leather steering wheel. Got it cheap as well as I just moved the existing airbag over. One of my favourite mods and still MOT ok.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 18 May 2020 16:37 by yakuza.

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds