BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Do I carry on?

• exlkrs
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 May 2020 11:20 #222091 by exlkrs
Do I carry on? was created by exlkrs
Bought a lemon that needs far more than I was led to believe. Still, that's life. Anyway. Needs front panel, Chassis outrigger welding centre and rear, associated floor areas, a little in the boot floor and inner sill. I can do it and do it to a good standard, that's no problem, but do I? do I chuck it or have a go. What would you do?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 May 2020 11:43 #222092 by me101
Replied by me101 on topic Do I carry on?
If it owes you little and can do the work yourself - carry on!

2007 Little Jim with cheap mods!
www.youtube.com/channel/UCeBDekO99Qk2aOmBmSmrI9w

More
10 May 2020 11:49 #222094 by Reason2doubt
Replied by Reason2doubt on topic Do I carry on?
Learning what I have in the past year about my 20 year old Jimny, I would keep going.

From my limited understanding, there is no guarantee another car is any better (even Jimny's that are not that old) - so I think if you have the skills give it a solid go.

Since I got mine its had new boot floor, sills, front panel patched up, floors either side and rear inner wings + body mounts (not all at once). I had skills to do half of these jobs, but others had to go to a professional. Still worth it in my book as I know my car inside out and know it's solid now, unlike if I bought another one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: exlkrs

• exlkrs
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 May 2020 11:49 #222095 by exlkrs
Replied by exlkrs on topic Do I carry on?
That's kind of where I am, just see no ads etc for useable outriggers it the thing that's putting me off.

More
10 May 2020 12:06 #222097 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Do I carry on?
You can buy most of the chassis components through the bigjimny.com shop at the top of the page. Send Martin an email to enquire about anything that you can't see.

Forum member "j999pre" breaks the odd car and could probably cut sections out for you.

Don't give up, they are lots of fun to own.... apart from the rust....

sniper

• exlkrs
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 May 2020 12:25 #222098 by exlkrs
Replied by exlkrs on topic Do I carry on?
Thanks for that. I agree, do like the thing and a lifetime with series Landrovers helps me 'understand'!! Just need pointing in the right direction. Boot floors and complete front panels are available, just stuck where to go for the most important bits really. Thanks again for the tips

More
11 May 2020 19:01 #222144 by Jimny Dr
Replied by Jimny Dr on topic Do I carry on?
There well worth the time and effort to keep them alive, keep going with it. I have bought around 12 of these and they all need work in the same areas, I did manage to get one yesterday that doesn’t need any welding to my surprise, so I put a fiver on lottery as my luck was in :laugh: :laugh:
The doc

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds