BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Auto/lunchbox lockers

• Mole
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Mar 2020 10:40 #220313 by Mole
Auto/lunchbox lockers was created by Mole
Morning

As titled I'm curious about the lunchbox style locker I get how they work and the reasonable price tag but are they worth it? Iv been reading up about them and its mixed reviews to have one on a daily driver whats peoples opinions on them are they fit and forgot with minor driving style changes or dose it make it a right pig to drive

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
  • Away
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
27 Mar 2020 12:29 #220318 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Auto/lunchbox lockers
If you're after a nice daily drive then you only really have 3 alternative options, air lockers, e lockers or helical torque bias lsd. All of these are not cheap but don't affect road manners too much. Any of the unlocker type require you to tolerate quite a lot of inconvenient on road characteristics. That doesn't mean they are bad but they are definitely better suited to weekend toys that spend their time off road.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
27 Mar 2020 23:06 #220341 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Auto/lunchbox lockers
I don't like them. A differential balances the torque at each wheel (2wd), where as the lunchbox style lockers send all the torque to the slowest wheel (1wd) until it slips, then they lock. The general consensus is that they are locked most of the time, make a lot of noise and are not predictable when transitioning between locked and unlocked. In my mind if you're on a budget you are better off with a welded diff because at least it is predictable. But for a daily driver I'd go for an LSD because it is unobtrusive in normal driving but gives you benefits both on and off road.

• Mole
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Mar 2020 12:39 #220505 by Mole
Replied by Mole on topic Auto/lunchbox lockers
Thanks for the replys I figured that they arnt the best for a daily but wanted people opinions

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds