BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Split charging system questions

• RayC
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Mar 2020 15:57 #219641 by RayC
Split charging system questions was created by RayC
Hello all

My Jimny has a dual battery set up installed by the previous owner

It seems to work but the battery light stays on when the car is running does anyone have any pointers on where to check

The car starts no battery drain issues etc it just annoys me as it’s not meant to be on!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RayC
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Mar 2020 15:58 #219643 by RayC
Replied by RayC on topic Split charging system questions
To clarify it’s the car dash battery alternator light

More
09 Mar 2020 18:37 #219655 by facade
If the ignition warning light is on, then either there is a short to ground on the L wire to the 3 pin plug on the alternator. or the alternator regulator is faulty.

There isn't an external regulator is there, for "super fast charging"? I've only ever seen them on boats.
I take it that that display reads between 13 & 14 V when running.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
10 Mar 2020 01:23 #219669 by zukebob
Going down the same line of thought as Facade, you might want to confirm that the previous owner didn't convert to a higher amp alternator when he went with the dual battery setup. If he did, and everything else is working properly, then it would likely be the L wire.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left

• RayC
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Mar 2020 17:37 #219684 by RayC
Replied by RayC on topic Split charging system questions
Bit of update the system is charging both batteries and pushing out enough volts the light is on dim not full brightness
Attachments:

More
10 Mar 2020 19:08 #219693 by facade
Seems to be working, I'd keep an eye on that voltage monitor and be prepared to buy a new alternator.
Tbh, I'd likely fit an alternator anyway, but I'd worry it was going to fail and let me down, and they aren't cheap.

The dash looks like a late model, so the ignition warning light is an LED, it can't light up if the ignition feed is low due to a bad earth or dirty ignition switch like a bulb can, it must be the regulator pack or a diode in the alternator.

You could try unplugging the multiplug on the alternator and switch on the ignition- the light should not come on, if it comes on dim there is a load/partial short on the L wire.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• JacksonFamily
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 May 2021 20:43 #235063 by JacksonFamily
Replied by JacksonFamily on topic Split charging system questions
Hello long shot this : did you fix the ‘slightly on’ battery charge light (LED)? Mine currently is slightly on whilst running, battery charging fine though. Checked fuses , etc. Perhaps the output from the alternator is broken. Thanks. Jason

More
15 May 2021 21:06 #235064 by RainerK
The fault might be a defect of the charge controller of the alternator. Often the coals are worn and then they do not have sufficient contact. The charge controller is not very expensive and sits at the back of the alternator. Also a new alternator might be an option.

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds