BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

To buy or not to buy - Front Ball Joint/MOT Advisories

• Deverill
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Jan 2020 16:23 - 02 Jan 2020 16:27 #216936 by Deverill
Hi guys!

I'm new to the Jimny but after some research I think it could be the 4x4 for me! I've seen a 2006 model at a garage in my local area for £3500. It has 90,000 on the clock and is MOT'd until July 2020. Looking at it's previous 2 mots it has these advisories:

Repair as soon as possible (minor defects):

Offside Front Track rod end ball joint dust cover damaged or deteriorated, but preventing the ingress of dirt off drop arm (2.1.3 (g) (i))

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
Nearside Front Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge worn slightly outer edge (5.2.3 (e))
Nearside Front Oil leak, but not excessive swivel hub area (8.4.1 (a) (i))
Offside Front Anti-roll bar linkage ball joint has slight play (5.3.4 (a) (i))

Repair as soon as possible (minor defects):
Offside Track rod end ball joint dust cover damaged or deteriorated, but preventing the ingress of dirt off steering box drop arm (2.1.3 (g) (i))

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
Offside Front Anti-roll bar linkage ball joint has slight play very slight (5.3.4 (a) (i))

The Ball joint and the oil leak seem like red flags to me but i'm no expert so just wanted to get some advice on whether to consider it or not and if so what to looking for when viewing

Thanks is advance! :)
Last edit: 02 Jan 2020 16:27 by Deverill.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jan 2020 16:38 #216938 by facade
Swivel hub oil leak means that the swivel bearings are worn. Not unusual, easy DIY fix, not too expensive if you are paying.
Ball joint dust cover is perished, has been for years, not expensive to replace.
Anti-roll bar drop link has play in it, not an issue, a new one is easy to fit, but better buy a decent one, the worn one will outlast a £7 eBay special.

Budget for the repairs, and buy it if the gearbox is quiet and there is no rust under the headlights, in the tool tray, at the back or front of the rear arches or under the rear seats.

No idea if the price is right, I got stupid money for my 2001 as a trade in, and I'm sure it sold for even more stupid money- probably more than I paid for it in 2009.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
02 Jan 2020 16:51 #216939 by Lambert
Welcome to the forum. The ball joints are relatively simple to do but are probably not going to play fair when it comes to getting the old ones undone. The oil leak on the swivel is a early indicator of kingpin bearings being due for replacement. Sounds worse than it is .having done kingpin bearings on my drive a few times I have got the procedure down to about an hour or a side. There's a how to guide in the Jimny information section on the top banner of the page that you can read up on. Alternatively a competent garage familiar with Jimny should be able to get you sorted for a couple of hours labour. As to the car itself be aware that 2006 is in the range for gearbox rebuilds 05 to 09 and also look for rust in the boot floor jack storage area and also behind the headlights.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
02 Jan 2020 16:53 #216940 by Lambert
Facade, you obviously type faster than I do. :laugh:

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
02 Jan 2020 17:27 #216943 by Riccy
All of the MOT stuff is simple really. as mentioned, rust is the only thing to worry about really.

The gearbox issue mentioned is shown by bearing noises in certain gears when on and off the throttle. Its often caused by the intermediate prop shaft leaking (or the seal), leading to bearing failure. Therefore check under the car where the gearbox joins to the transfer box for oil spatter or oil around the area after a test run if its not got history of a rebuild. A rebuild is £500-700, plus labour of removing the box and refitting generally.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds