BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Front Hub Vacuum Route ?

More
25 Jul 2019 20:20 #211470 by bryn
Replied by bryn on topic Front Hub Vacuum Route ?
PM sent
bryn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jul 2019 21:21 #211514 by Velocette
Replied by Velocette on topic Front Hub Vacuum Route ?
The job is progressing. We had a look at the front wheel bearing today and it was absolutely goosed. Smartly pulled it apart and fitted a new one with one or two observations on the way. The old bearing was a two part double row ball bearing whereas the new one is a double taper roller type. The retaining nut came off ok but the sealing flange was quite corroded and although it cleaned up will be replaced. Finally,,because of the wear to the sealing flange I wondered if the seal in the vacuum hub was a bit worn too but I cannot seem to find a replacement. Has anyone any idea where to source one please ? There was so much slack in the wheel bearing that it may be the suggested source of the vacuum leak.

More
27 Jul 2019 20:46 #211555 by Velocette
Replied by Velocette on topic Front Hub Vacuum Route ?
Today I stripped the vacuum hub into its component parts. The first seal is fairly easy to prise out from one of the three recesses around the edge of the unit,followed by the engaging sprocket. The sliding collar assembly comes out in one piece after a bit of clouting with a rubber mallet on the outside of the hub. It engages in three slots which I think may have been part of the problem I had and some of the information I sought. These slots were solid with a mixture of grease and corrosion and I think seriously reduced the chance of the unlock part of the operation operating correctly. Opening the sliding collar unit was quite tricky as there is nowhere to get a lever in to prise the two halves apart. As there is a big spring inside giving a bit of assistance I gently nipped the lower steel part in the vise,the rotated it a few degrees and did it again all the way round,hearing a few clicks as I did it and found that the two halves had begun to separate giving me a chance to pry them apart. All becomes clear once inside as to how the hubs operate. Fixed to the back of sliding collar is a diaphragm which provides an airtight seal to the unlocking chamber. Vacuum is directed down the three slots mentioned earlier into the chamber and pulls the collar back to the retaining magnet. Back to the start,,the large seal I removed from the hub at the outset forms,together with the new wheel bearing seal,forms the locking chamber which operates on the sliding collar in the opposite direction and pulls it into engagement. The exact route the vacuum takes from the incoming pipes to all this is still a mystery but will be resolved tomorrow.
The upshot of all this is that when I put it all back together and went for a swift test,,IT WORKED !

More
27 Jul 2019 21:47 #211561 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Front Hub Vacuum Route ?
That's a really good result, well done. I have been reading this with interest as finding information on the way hub works has proven elusive, so well done on just going for it. I plan to keep my hubs vacuum operated and fix any problems, but so far everything is working so not seen inside.
If you feel like it or get chance a photo of a simple sketch of how it works will help my simple mind understand your description better.
No problem if you can't, sure one day I'll have a chance to follow in your footsteps.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
28 Jul 2019 04:31 #211565 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Front Hub Vacuum Route ?
This level of intricate design complexity is why most people opt for the manual hub option and the greater reliability it brings.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
28 Jul 2019 09:36 - 28 Jul 2019 09:38 #211583 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Front Hub Vacuum Route ?
Can't disagree that manual hubs are going to be more reliable in the long term, but I suspect they are just more tolerant of abuse and lack of maintenance (thick set rusty grease etc).
But I also feel the trend is to bin the vacuum system straight away in favour of manual hubs as it's seen as complex to fix, this mainly due to lack of detailed information on what is actually happening when you press the button. I don't want to bin mine, so just trying to gather as much information as I can before it goes wrong, and the movement within the hub is one area I don't fully understand at the moment.
It can't be that complex can it? after all it's a mechanical "Steam punk" system in operation.:laugh:
So any info or drawings of what's inside appreciated.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 28 Jul 2019 09:38 by Scimike.

More
28 Jul 2019 15:38 - 28 Jul 2019 18:48 #211593 by bryn
"Opening the sliding collar unit was quite tricky”
I used 2 pairs of stilsons twisting in opposing directions and some wd40.
As for putting it back together the last bit in is the large seal unit/collar which I found a little tricky to get back in and stay in so I used 2 small planks of wood and made a sandwich which was then tightened back together in a vice.
Well done to velocette for persisting.
Last edit: 28 Jul 2019 18:48 by bryn.

More
05 Aug 2019 07:23 #211836 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Front Hub Vacuum Route ?
It's not a case of lack of understanding that makes me hate vacuum hubs, it's the number of places they can leak and the work involved in finding the leak when there's a quick and easy off the shelf solution, ir you can make them fixed as per my guide at the top of this section for free.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
12 Aug 2019 12:37 #212053 by bryn
I too have change the front wheel baring as per Martins guide (and a few phone calls to a chum) with no issues. The hardest part was getting the baring out but made easier with a blow torch but a spell in the oven would have sufficed.
For those thinking about doing it then I would say its as easy as doing the king pin barings. Not difficult.
I now have a wheel nut socket and correct size drift in anyone wants to borrow it Harrogate/Wetherby .

bryn

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds