BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Gen4 clutch judder from cold

More
08 May 2019 18:43 #207551 by Hanslow
Is anyone experiencing any clutch judder from cold in the morning? Mine does, more noticeable if not used over the weekend, much much worse when it was stood for a week. It is slightly uphill getting a bit steeper from our house, so not sure if that plays a part or not.

It's in for its inspection service in a couple of weeks so will mention it then, but interested to know if anyone else is experiencing the same. It's fine after a few miles, so I'm suspecting just some surface bedding issues on the clutch but want to make sure it gets looked at if it's anything untoward.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 May 2019 18:55 #207555 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Gen4 clutch judder from cold
Not experienced this mate. I have heard a few others say it though.

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 May 2019 19:39 #207560 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic Gen4 clutch judder from cold
Mine does this on a cool morning but as the weather is warming up it should be gone soon. By the time the weather turns cold I will have forgotton about it and will be a whole new cause for concern.
It's probably me anyway, I get foot judder on a cold morning! Could always be hill start assist getting sticky?

More
08 May 2019 20:49 #207561 by Hanslow
Thanks both. I used to get similar on my old scoob first thing in the morning, which was a case of "they all do that sir". It's nothing major, I'll talk to the dealer about it in a couple of weeks and report back what they say. It might just need an engineer's tune up (as they used to call it).

I'd not thought about the hill start assist. Where I am tends to be a couple of degrees cooler with the slight altitude but it's interesting you mention cold, as I don't recall it doing it at all when we had that unusual warm week.

• AlexK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 May 2019 21:14 #207562 by AlexK
Replied by AlexK on topic Gen4 clutch judder from cold
This tends to happen because these days the friction material in the clutch disc is made from an organic compound, one that has a habit of absorbing moisture from the air around it. If left parked up for a few days, particularly in damp weather, it can retain enough moisture to cause judder, but should burn off fairly quickly when driving.

Time to create page: 0.085 seconds