BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Winch behind bumper

• Dano0404
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Dec 2018 11:52 #199392 by Dano0404
Winch behind bumper was created by Dano0404
Hello, after a recent greenlane trip been looking at winches to mount behind the bumper. I won't be doing any serious off roading was looking at the bellow. Don't really want to spend much more as it won't get much use.

rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A...2Fitm%2F173156840016

rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A...2Fitm%2F302972104520

rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A...2Fitm%2F262185165546

Just after something that will fit nicely behind the bumper.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Dec 2018 12:50 #199394 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Winch behind bumper
There's a touch more to fitting the winch sadly........

Winch mount, heavy duty mounts are needed, these can be £150+

Twin battery set up, you'll need to mount a second battery which will be best run from a split charge system. £250 ish

Recovery points, no point in the winch if it rips your tow points out.... £150+

You can see that it's a bit more involved than first appears. With the winch, mount and battery, you could find that the extra weight means that you need to change the front springs..... £100+

Speak to a few people that have them fitted before you buy one, you might be better off joining a local laning group and getting advice from others doing what you, intend to do. I have seen a great many fitted and never used.

sniper

• OlaGB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Dec 2018 14:03 #199395 by OlaGB
Replied by OlaGB on topic Winch behind bumper
Lets not scare people off from installing a winch :)

You can do a winch install for «every now and then resque backup», and you can go all in rigging you`re car for competitions.

If you are like most people, in the first category, you dont need a dual battery setup.
Keep winch size down in 6-8000lbs size, and use a tad better battery than the stock, and youre all set. Try to get as high CCA rating battery as you can find.
Stock battery will also pull you put of trouble, but you will notice loss of power on winch, and youre battery will suffer a short life.

If you want all the power you can get for all day winching, aim for a 8-10k lbs winch and big dual battery setup. Want to go competition, aim for redwinch cobra with dual motor, highspeed gear and huge 24v battery setup B) (getting into mortgage territory now :laugh: )

For mount, ive used jimnybits mount, but it came to far out of the bumper for my taste. I cut off it a bit to make the fairlead approx flush with my bumper. Theres some pics in my build thread, both of my winch install and a bit bigger battery.

You could easily weld in a plate for winch mount as well, if you want to save money, and are willing to weld into youre frame :)

• Dano0404
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Dec 2018 14:45 #199397 by Dano0404
Replied by Dano0404 on topic Winch behind bumper
Thanks for the replys, I was going to weld a plate to the frame and mount it that way my boss is a metal fabricator. I've had my years of serious off roading this will only be for light use, that's why I was looking at the smaller winches I'm not fussed about speed. The hevyist only comes in at 30kg so shouldn't be to much of a issue? If needed I will upgrade the standard battery.

More
24 Dec 2018 15:12 #199398 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Winch behind bumper
If your budget will stretch get a rope on it save some kg removing the wire (rope is safer)
I would say don't go any lower than 6000lbs and don't try and recover a disco or like ;)

More
24 Dec 2018 18:54 #199408 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Winch behind bumper
For occasional use I have this.

It's a 4,500lb winch on a tow ball mount with jump lead style cables long enough to reach the battery, all packed into a convenient tool bag. I got a good deal from a forum member but a similar setup new wouldn't cost a fortune.
It's perfectly adequate for self recovery, can be used on any vehicle with a tow bar or tethered to any fixed object. It lives in a clean, dry area rather than sitting outside getting exposed to all weathers regardless of whether you're using it.
Just another idea if you want a winch but you're not expecting to use it all the time!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: yakuza

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Dec 2018 22:56 #199417 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Winch behind bumper
Agree with Ola.

For occasional recovery. Dual batteries and split charge relay is a waste of money. Split charge is a waste of money anyway... That's just for overlanding.

A decent quality 6000-9500 lbs winch and good +750 CCA battery is what you need.

More
25 Dec 2018 23:00 #199445 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Winch behind bumper
I would try to go for a 9klb winch personally and a Jimny Bits Battery tray to put a bigger battery in. The Numax range of Leisure Batteries are good value. Cheap 9klb winches are not much more, so why not. You know it can cope with anything then, rather than have to double line pull.

You seem to be able to make a winch mount, so why not make your own version of the JB battery tray too?

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
26 Dec 2018 06:31 #199449 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Winch behind bumper
This post is covered with the caveat that it is my personal opinion and is not an indictment of anyone who holds a contrary position.

It is a widespread belief in the green lane community thet one should "go lightly" when travelling the byways. I have always felt that to mean that if a lane has an obstacle that can't readily be negotiated in a standard ish 4x4 with suitable tyres then there's a strong argument for coming back off said lane the way you arrived and finding an alternative route.

I regularly hear the arguments in favour of winches being put forward that they alow controlled low impact navigation of difficult obstacles that would otherwise lead to much potential wheel spinning and making the obstacle even more impassable which in and of itself is a valid point except for the counterpart argument that a driver of a winch equipped vehicle is inevitably going to be more inclined to tackling obstacles that in a none winch vehicle they would leave well alone.

I appreciate that winches also have a role to play in recovery of stuck vehicles either self or of others (I have had enough nice days out ruined by the talentless getting impossibly stuck for no good reason) it happens. But again having a winch equipped vehicle your self or in your group tends to increase the levels of risk taking people are prepared to accept as there's a sense of having a get out of gaol free card.

I'm not anti being prepared or even anti winch but I am pro being responsible in venturing out on our network of unsealed rights of way and to my mind that means being prepared to leave a trail if it's effectively impassable rather than seeing it as a chance to show how manly I and my vehicle are. There's plenty of options for doing that in the controlled environment of a pay and play site.

Again I'm not attempting to goad people with this post, it's simply my personal opinion and is nothing more than that, off roading is a large house with many mansions.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
26 Dec 2018 09:48 #199452 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Winch behind bumper
I wasn't being anti - winch, just encouraging the poster to consider what they need and not what they want.......

My car is a road car that I do a fair bit of green laning with. I was considering all the "responsible" modifications including winch, which would allow me to drive some local lanes and get myself out of trouble.

I bought a 9000lb winch and Jimnybits mount with recovery points, I was all in picking it up to put it in the back of my car....... It weighed a ton.

Then look at this guard and that guard, heavy duty this and heavy duty that and the very nature of the car is changing. I sold the winch on.

Don't get me wrong, I've had a ride out with some really trick cars in the group and thought they looked and performed, amazingly well. They were able drive over obstacles that I had to pick my way through, I was slower and had to think a bit more, but I got there.

I doubt I would put myself in the position of needing winch recovery, even if driving out with the confidence of recovery equipped colleagues. I like my car and don't want to hurt it. I often drive a lane and turn around to avoid the risk of damage or mud.

Have a drive out with a group, look at how far you want to go with modifications, once you understand the impact of them.

Better tyres, suspension or gearing might be of greater benefit, keeping the weight off helps too....

sniper

• OlaGB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Dec 2018 13:44 #199461 by OlaGB
Replied by OlaGB on topic Winch behind bumper
Snow is the main reason i have a winch.. Getting stuck in 70cm snow, alone, is no fun at all.. But man its fun just until it happens :laugh:

More
26 Dec 2018 23:50 #199475 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Winch behind bumper
When / if i get a winch, it will be mounted in a cradle. 2" receiver of some sorts and wires and plugs will be in both ends of my cars.
It will be of light weight and size and will have rope.

I will probably use it max once every year so no point in it hanging out there in all this weather.

And agreed Ola, must have some sort of snow anchor.
And extra straps for using more than one tree to hook up. seen many pull the tree down instead of the car up :)

The winch will probably be used like my 5 ton strap, mostly to help others.
But that is what is most fun!

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds