BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Rear upper spoiler fitting how to.

• NineCherries
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 May 2018 13:46 #192880 by NineCherries
Rear upper spoiler fitting how to. was created by NineCherries
Ok, before I start please read this polite statement. This is how I fitted my spoiler, it isn’t the only way, there may be better ways but I didn’t find much info when I was researching.
The only info that cropped up was from fellow member on here particularly Darthblaker7474, thank you for your info.

But proceed at your in risk. If you drill in the wrong place it’s your fault, not mine :) check check and check again.

Here we go.

I manage to pick up a 2nd hand factory fit spoiler online and I was over the moon. It was the wrong colour for me (silky silver) so i resprayed and lacquered at home using rattle cans but I couldn’t find out how it should be fitted. I hunted high and low for the official fitting instructions online but found nothing.

Having contacted the seller (who had removed it himself) he told me it had 2 little plastic sockets in the tailgate that the long grub screws on the underside of the spoiler located into.

The socket is on a double skin section of the rear door so I either done as suggested by darthblaker and drill the outer skin and drill a bigger hole in the inner skin and plug it when complete.

I thought I’d try out an idea I had using the expanding trim tags

And not use the plastic expander screw. The factory grub screws are pictured in the forefront of the picture.

Initially I decided on using a paper template that I stuck it onto the car and drew around the foot of the spoiler to get a location, I marked the position of the paper on the car with tape and pencil lines to aid relocation, then took it off and pressed with my finger onto the underside of the spoiler to make an indent on the paper of the threaded insert of the spoiler.

I wasn’t convinced I had it spot on so I decided a cuppa would help :) so after much head scratching I thought about a blob of blu tac. I wiped a bit of polish onto the contact area of the spoiler before I place the blob of blu tac onto each fixing point

I lined the spoiler up with the template on the car and pressed on then gentle removed the spoiler. Because I had put a spot of polish on the fixings the blu tac stuck to the paper and stayed with the car.

A quick jab with a skewer made a centre point,

And proved that the paper template idea had worked too

Now this is the point of no return. Now the drilling starts. If you are using this as a guide please check and triple check you are happy with the position before you start drilling.

With a centre punch mark the tailgate to give the drill a starting point. For my own sanity I started out with a 2mm pilot hole and stepped up 2mm each time till I had drilled an 8mm hole in my rear door.

I test fitted the trim nut thingy

And trial fitted the spoiler

It sat there all by itself. When I took it off again one of the trim nuts came out and proved the original threaded grub screws were too short and the trim but legs weren’t spreading

I painted the bare metal of the drilled holes and left it to dry.

I had a length of threaded bar in the garage but you could cut the head off a bolt to make longer locators

The original pins were about 20mm and the new ones I made were 30mm

In case there was any overspill of tiger seal when I fixed the spoiler I masked off the area around the foot to make clearing up easier

A bead of tiger seal was placed around the drilled hole and the trim nuts were pushed into the drilled hole.

My new 30mm locating rods were wound into the spoiler.

Tiger seal was used on the foot of the spoiler and the spoiler was pushed home onto the tailgate.

While the tiger seal was still soft I removed the masking tape to remove the small amount that had escaped.

The spoiler was on the car and supporting itself while the tiger seal cures. I added some masking tape to be sure (but to be fair I don’t think it’s doing anything.

If I was to improve on anything I’d put a bit more tiger seal under the foot as not much squeezed out when I pressed the spoiler on. I’ll probably mask it up again when it’s cured and run a small bead of sealant around the foot just so I’m totally happy.

All in all I’m satisfied with the result and I hope this is of some use to someone in the future.

Tony.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
23 May 2018 18:02 #192885 by Riccy
Cracking write up :cheer:

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
The following user(s) said Thank You: NineCherries

More
24 May 2018 08:10 - 24 May 2018 08:16 #192899 by Bosanek
Would you consider transferring this guide with pictures into a new wiki article?

EDIT: I have just created a corresponding wiki article .

Someone just needs to "populate" it with appropriate text and pictures.
Last edit: 24 May 2018 08:16 by Bosanek. Reason: More info

• NineCherries
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 May 2018 17:16 #192964 by NineCherries
Replied by NineCherries on topic Re:Rear upper spoiler fitting how to.
Yeah sure if you think it’s of use on a wiki then no problem. I’ll have a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 May 2018 18:52 #192966 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Re:Rear upper spoiler fitting how to.
Great job looks good :(

More
03 Jun 2018 21:56 #193183 by Darthblaker7474
Look brilliant, glad you took your time unlike I did :woohoo:

More
30 Jun 2018 12:53 #193891 by Basketcase
Absolutely fantastic! I’ve got one of these spoilers to fit that I got years ago for my last jimny when I worked at Suzuki but never got round to fitting it. Will definitely be re reading this when I get round to fitting it! Brilliant write up

More
30 Jun 2018 20:26 #193896 by helijohn
Excellent. That's how to do it both fitting and write up.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

More
17 Sep 2018 05:42 - 17 Sep 2018 05:47 #196041 by Bosanek
I have transferred this entire guide into this wiki article.

If anyone comes up with some improvements to this installation method (or with alternative methods), please add them to that wiki article.
Last edit: 17 Sep 2018 05:47 by Bosanek.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, NineCherries

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds