BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Intermittent ignition problem and juddering

• rbw156
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 May 2018 09:50 #192596 by rbw156
I have a 2006 Jimny, which is a lovely car, but it has been suffering with an intermittent ignition problem. The issue is most obvious after I've coasted down a hill and start to depress the accelerator. The car will judder and hesitate a little until it picks up speed. Even if I put my foot down on the accelerator it still judders, so I don't think that it is the throttle position sensor.

I've replaced the spark plugs, O2 sensor and one of the HT leads (the others seemed OK). There are no engine management fault codes.

My local garage have run some tests and notice that even when cruising the car hesitates a little. They could not identify the cause, however, they suggested that it might be the EGR value. I'm not convinced, especially as it looks difficult to access!

What would you suggest I check and in what order?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 May 2018 14:44 - 11 May 2018 14:45 #192598 by mickt
Which engine is in the car?
Try replacing all the leads, better to be safe as what looks good can be the opposite.
Last edit: 11 May 2018 14:45 by mickt.

• rbw156
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 May 2018 14:58 #192599 by rbw156
Replied by rbw156 on topic Intermittent ignition problem and juddering
It is the M13A engine.

I'm hoping that I don't need to replace all the leads because the two with the coil packs are expensive. So, fingers crossed it is something else.

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 May 2018 15:06 #192600 by mickt
That's maybe so but it is extremely likely to be ignition problem than something else and is the easiest to eliminate. Try asking members if they have any good known spares as some do break the cars and sell bits. Ask on the For Sale forum.

• rbw156
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 May 2018 16:55 #192602 by rbw156
Replied by rbw156 on topic Intermittent ignition problem and juddering
Thanks for your advice. I'll try posting on the for sale section to see if anyone has some good spares.

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds