BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Front fog lamps.

• 1066Boy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Apr 2018 19:45 #191256 by 1066Boy
Front fog lamps. was created by 1066Boy
I need to change one of my front fog lamps. As its a bit of a pain I though I would fit some led bulbs at the same time. Can anyone confirm its H3 (453) fitting before I order the wrong ones. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Apr 2018 20:17 - 03 Apr 2018 20:25 #191259 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Front fog lamps.
Be careful where you source your LEDs I bought some through eBay and in spite of the high feedback score they were junk. I left Neg feedback and the cheeky sod only messaged me to say he would refund me if I sent them back AND changed my feedback to something favourable! :angry: So instead I stuck to my guns and gave him a slating for doing that in 'follow--up' feedback which is something not a lot of people seem to know about
I use Dynamo Regulator Conversions whenever I can for LEDs - they've been superb quality but at a price and they also dont stock all socket types(yet). They've been hugely helpful handing out advice too.
There are other good suppliers Classic car LEDs but I have not personally dealt with them but know people that have and they have been pleased.

I'm looking at buying some LED H4s for the main lights at the moment ££££ :pinch:

EDIT: Also look here Better car lighting They have all sorts of cool gadgetry

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 03 Apr 2018 20:25 by Max Headroom.

• NineCherries
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Apr 2018 20:49 #191262 by NineCherries
Replied by NineCherries on topic Re:Front fog lamps.

Max Headroom wrote: Be careful where you source your LEDs I bought some through eBay and in spite of the high feedback score they were junk. I left Neg feedback and the cheeky sod only messaged me to say he would refund me if I sent them back AND changed my feedback to something favourable! :angry: So instead I stuck to my guns and gave him a slating for doing that in 'follow--up' feedback which is something not a lot of people seem to know about
I use Dynamo Regulator Conversions whenever I can for LEDs - they've been superb quality but at a price and they also dont stock all socket types(yet). They've been hugely helpful handing out advice too.
There are other good suppliers Classic car LEDs but I have not personally dealt with them but know people that have and they have been pleased.

I'm looking at buying some LED H4s for the main lights at the moment ££££ :pinch:

EDIT: Also look here Better car lighting They have all sorts of cool gadgetry

I’m running H4 led bulbs in mine just now. Took a chance on amazon as the were only £23 on prime and I’ve been running them
Since mid December. So far so good and they have been fine. I didn’t actually expect them to last the winter but I’ve been pleasantly surprised. I had previously picked up a set of the Halfords own brand 150% brighter H4’s but I wasnt overly impressed and felt the Osram night breaker ultimate bulbs I had in previously were much better. Led headlight bulbs were untested to me so didn’t want to jump In and spend £££££’s on led bulbs to find out they were rubbish and didn’t project far enough. If interested I’ll get a link to the ones I ordered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More
03 Apr 2018 21:00 #191263 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Re:Front fog lamps.
That's VERY interesting. I keep looking at some on Amazon and wondering if I should take a chance - they get good reviews, but I'm aware there seem to be a lot of 'fake' reviews creeping in on Amazon. Thanks for that

I might give Better Car Lighting a go - looks like they stock pretty-much everything for more modern machines whereas Dynamo Regulator Conversions are more specific to pre-war cars it seems, though they did supply me with some stunning T10(?) lamps for my Jimny number plate lights B)

More
03 Apr 2018 21:21 - 03 Apr 2018 21:46 #191264 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Re:Front fog lamps.
You do need to be careful with led bulbs in my humble opinion, the quality can be iffy.
I purchased some side lights and tail stop lights in led for my LandRover, not the cheapest, and what I considered quality. They worked fine for just over 12 months and initially I was more than happy to sing their praise.
But then I noticed they had got a little dimmer.
Investigation reviled that some of the led light clusters had started to fail, not all, but enough to notice a reduction in light output.
These are not cheap items compared to a £1.50 bulb and they had started to fail in 12 months, not totally like a bulb, but just out of warranty :pinch:
Considering the initial cost they are or can be a false economy I concluded.. After all they should outlast incandescent bulbs, but they don't.
Conveted back to good old cheap bulbs and they are still working.
By all means have a try of them, but don't claim they are good until you have seen plus 7 years trouble free operation. This is not a crazy comment if you consider that led are typically 7x more expensive than incandescent bulbs and you get a 12 month warranty on these ( yes you do, its consumer law unless stated otherwise )
I would also go with any supply recommendations rather than ebay or amazon.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 03 Apr 2018 21:46 by Scimike.

More
03 Apr 2018 22:14 - 03 Apr 2018 22:15 #191268 by Max Headroom
Scimike,

you are quite right; it can be a false economy. We see plenty of adverts saying LEDs last for umpteen thousands of hours, but the biggest problems according to the Dynamo Conversions proprietor is that the country is being flooded with cheap and nasty Chinese stuff which is not only prone to poor reliability/longevity and unexpected failures, which in itself can be dangerous, but can also be so badly made that they dazzle oncoming motorists (unimaginable for an oncoming motorcyclist!)

Unfortunately the law and legislation is very behind with all of this.
There is huge debate going on in the classic car world as many classic and vintage cars have lighting systems that can be measured in flickering candle power not Watts! So fitting an alternative solution that uses far less power and yet gives out greater light without the need for regulators and cut-outs to be so carefully monitored and thus avoid flat batteries, is a very attractive proposition for those of us with ancient cars.

I've had LEDs in my SAAB (which I exchanged for the Jimny) and I got good longevity out of those - they were bought on eBay stayed bright and were still in the car after several years, when I sold it the other week. I've also put LEDs in the tail-lights on Mrs Max Headroom's Vauxhall Meriva and they're still good after many months. (I think the slamming of the tailgate was killing the incandescent bulbs as I was forever changing bulbs in that - so far so good.

I'm now looking at exclusively fitting LEDs in my '79 Midget, - though that still has its original sealed-beam headlamps which I am loathed to change, and I'm certainly intending to use LEDs in the pre-war MG when I finally get that together, simply because it runs a 3 brush dynamo with voltage regulator, however I may be persuaded to opt for a 2 brush system with some modern digital internals in the regulator 'box' for reliability reasons.

I think Incandescent bulbs still have their place but a practical demonstration on Wheeler Dealers explained why you should never buy cheap bulbs. They aren't as bright, and they don't stand up to rapid temperature changes well. I was pretty impressed by that but personally feel that LEDs will become the 'norm' eventually

Last edit: 03 Apr 2018 22:15 by Max Headroom.

More
03 Apr 2018 22:53 - 03 Apr 2018 22:54 #191273 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Re:Front fog lamps.
Max,
I totally agree that the future is LED and I would still like to fit them again to my Series Landy. The big benefit was mega light output and reduced load on the ageing switch gear, in particular the pressure activated stop switch which is prone to failure. Looks like I fell foul of the cheap imports, so any suppliers of quality products should be highlighted by those that have had good results.
One potential issue for headlamp bulbs replaced by LED is the beam pattern. The reflectors and heaglamp glass is designed to direct the beam from one area, the filament, which normally occupies a small area. LED,s use multiple light source points which do not focus the same. So some LED and HDI bulbs fitted into incandescent headlamp units will not function correctly from a beam pattern point of view They may be bright, but ghe beam pattern will be all over the place. Just something else to consider before you switch to LED.... Bit of a minefield at the moment.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 03 Apr 2018 22:54 by Scimike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Max Headroom

More
04 Apr 2018 08:19 #191281 by Max Headroom
:blush: Sorry 1066Boy - I think we've hijacked your thread :blush:

Apologies for that ! I have therefore looked in my handbook, found the list of bulbs on page 12-3 of my book, and lo and behold there is no mention of a front fog lamp!
My advice; remove a bulb and match it with one at Halfrauds :(

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
04 Apr 2018 12:05 #191283 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re:Front fog lamps.
Has there been a change in the law on these then, because I thought that retro fitting led to incandescent reflectors was a big no no? As in the whole light unit has to be specifically designed for led not just the actual light source?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
04 Apr 2018 12:50 #191285 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:RE: Re:Front fog lamps.

Lambert wrote: Has there been a change in the law on these then, because I thought that retro fitting led to incandescent reflectors was a big no no? As in the whole light unit has to be specifically designed for led not just the actual light source?

No, under construction and use everything has to be E marked and the marking only applies for the original tested item. So cheap Chinese import headlights or bulbs which, whilst the correct fitment, are significantly different from the original negate the E marking

However whether you would actually be picked up on it is debatable

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
04 Apr 2018 14:53 - 04 Apr 2018 14:56 #191286 by Max Headroom

mlines wrote: [

However whether you would actually be picked up on it is debatable

I asked a policeman friend of mine, and his thoughts were that it would be 'down to the individual officer', but he went on to say that so long as he can see you and you aren't dazzling him, then the likelihood was no, you'd get away with it! But that said, I have heard some people have failed an MOT on the grounds of LED lights being fitted which doesn't bode well, but again its probably down to the individual MOT tester.

BACK TO THE MAIN TOPIC.....:woohoo:

1066Boy, I just got back from Halfrauds, and those fog lights according to Halfrauds dreadfully slow computerised data book are H1

Last edit: 04 Apr 2018 14:56 by Max Headroom.

• 1066Boy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Apr 2018 16:46 #191289 by 1066Boy
Replied by 1066Boy on topic Re:RE: Re:Front fog lamps.
I think they are H1 bulbs but the Wikki page on here said H3 (unless I got it wrong) that was what confused me. :)

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds