BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Strange Steering...

More
08 Mar 2018 14:41 #190121 by mark98
Strange Steering... was created by mark98
I’ve got a strange issue with steering on my Jimny. Something is limiting its amount of lock to the right. Instead of 2 turns from on centre to full right hand lock, it only has about 1 turn before it runs out of lock and stops. It’s fine to the left, 2 full turns to lock. No visible problems with the steering system fouling on anything. Power steering is also fine. Still drivable, but just very irritating. Anybody got any ideas, really puzzling me? Cheers...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Mar 2018 16:54 #190131 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Strange Steering...
Has this just started?- if so something is broken and restricting the movement, likely a CV joint.

Always been like it? - drop the drag link off the pitman arm on the steering box, and see how many turns lock to lock, set it to the middle and adjust the drag link so that it goes back into the pitman arm with the wheels straight ahead, then you will have equal lock each side.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: mark98

• rappey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Mar 2018 18:40 #190138 by rappey
Replied by rappey on topic Strange Steering...
mine did the same, was lh that would not go all the way. turned out to be the left hand cv joint had broke.
I did hear it clicking momentarily before it completely failed while in 4 wheel drive

More
08 Mar 2018 18:43 #190140 by mark98
Replied by mark98 on topic Strange Steering...

facade wrote: Has this just started?- if so something is broken and restricting the movement, likely a CV joint.

Always been like it? - drop the drag link off the pitman arm on the steering box, and see how many turns lock to lock, set it to the middle and adjust the drag link so that it goes back into the pitman arm with the wheels straight ahead, then you will have equal lock each side.

Narrowed down to a knackered CV joint. Tested it this afternoon, lo and behold the 4WD wasn't working...steering seems to have freed off a bit after playing with it on axle stands testing the 4WD. I think I'll pull it apart and see whats up and order a new CV joint!

Cheers for your replies.

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds