BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Faint knocking - Rocklobster issue?!

• X88RED
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Mar 2018 20:38 #189847 by X88RED
Faint knocking - Rocklobster issue?! was created by X88RED
Hi all,

After a day of driving in the snow and Ice I have noticed an annoying noise. I will try and describe it as good as I can do.. so it only happens in 4wd (2wd and 4wd low are fine), I would say it’s most noticeable when going about 30mph, happens when you take your foot off the accelerator after accelerating and then also when you first put your foot back on the accelerator after not accelerating at all. It lasts about 1 second. Hard to describe the actual noise but it sounds like a faint knocking almost. I have only really noticed it after fitting my Rocklobster 5:1 box but then again I have hardly driven in the snow and in 4wd at speed.

Thanks for your help.

Redmond

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rexthecat
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Mar 2018 20:52 #189849 by rexthecat
Replied by rexthecat on topic Faint knocking - Rocklobster issue?!
worth checking the UJ ? Think I need to replace one of mine.

• X88RED
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Mar 2018 21:07 #189852 by X88RED
Replied by X88RED on topic Faint knocking - Rocklobster issue?!
Forgot to mention the front and rear props are brand new and it’s only the intermediate prop that is old - but even if the UJ was gone in that I don’t think it would only make the noise in 4wd?

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
03 Mar 2018 06:35 #189858 by Lambert
Have you looked underneath to confirm something isn't packed with ice? My alloys got full of it after some drifts and on a clear bit of road it was almost undriveable because of the ice affecting the wheel balance, could be something similar?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
03 Mar 2018 06:59 #189860 by kirkynut
You have gone back to 2wd as soon as you've got onto a grippy surface again?

Otherwise you could have transmission wind up. We don't have a centre diff you see.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• X88RED
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Mar 2018 07:51 #189861 by X88RED
No packed ice on the car and I made sure I put it back into 2wd if I got onto any grippy surfaces :(

More
04 Mar 2018 06:51 #189914 by kirkynut
Check the transfer box mounts and bolts.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• HG0606
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Mar 2018 15:22 #189922 by HG0606
Replied by HG0606 on topic Faint knocking - Rocklobster issue?!
Does the noise sound almost like a steam engine 'chuffing' like a knock but not quite that clunky? if that makes any sense? our 6.1 box started making a similar noise, some of the bearings were ruined, and that's the closest way i can describe the noise, we thought it was the intermediate prop at first. Transfer box was built with new TG gears, had an oil change and had only done 3-4k miles so wasn't expecting anything in it to have gone wrong- but there we go!

• X88RED
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Mar 2018 10:14 - 05 Mar 2018 10:15 #189961 by X88RED
Thanks guys!

Transfer box mounts and bolts all look fine to me and are brand new.

I doubt it would be the bearings in the Rocklobster transfer box as they have literally just been changed / tested and I have covered less than 50 miles on them! I could send you a video of the noise if you like - just to see if it sounds exactly like the noise you describe - PM me if you like.

Interesting how you mention the intermediate prop as the UJ on mine does have some play - I am swaying towards this being the issue. I have also been told it is common for the intermediate prop weight to foul on the gearbox linkage frame, but no sign of this.

I think the best thing I can do is to get a new intermediate prop?? - does anyone know where I can get a new one from? One that is the right length would be a good idea as I am currently running a 25mm spacer.
Last edit: 05 Mar 2018 10:15 by X88RED.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
05 Mar 2018 18:31 #189989 by Riccy
Is the rocklobster from Richard Redacted ? He might be a good person to ask about the prop ;-)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• HG0606
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Mar 2018 20:02 #190035 by HG0606
Replied by HG0606 on topic Faint knocking - Rocklobster issue?!
I'd start then with the intermediate prop if the bearings ect are all new in the T-Box, The noise mine made was very specific and if it was doing it you'd see what i mean about it sounding like a 'chuffing' noise. Good luck getting it sorted!

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds