BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

M series stroker

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
12 Feb 2018 05:07 #189277 by Lambert
M series stroker was created by Lambert
Hi another of my odd questions. Reading on the internet it appears that the main difference between the 1.3 and the 1.6 is the crank throw at least for displacement. I know it would be a lot of work but if for instance the motor was already apart is it possible to do a crank swap or is it more complex than it sounds? Yes I know it would be a lot easier to get a 1.6 and replace it whole but what fun is that?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
12 Feb 2018 05:16 #189278 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic M series stroker
Also, and this is a lot of work, is it possible to get the additional 5mm diameter out of the cylinders of a 1.6 to get up to 1.8 or indeed beyond that?

• Jimx5
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Feb 2018 07:19 #189279 by Jimx5
Replied by Jimx5 on topic M series stroker
As a minimum you would have to replace/swap the pistons ( if they are interchangeable) as the extra throw on the crank would drive the pistons into the head.

More
12 Feb 2018 07:28 #189280 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic M series stroker

Lambert wrote: Also, and this is a lot of work, is it possible to get the additional 5mm diameter out of the cylinders of a 1.6 to get up to 1.8 or indeed beyond that?

If getting to 1.8 is possible i think that would be interesting.. You could also get a high compression 1.8 as most european m16a have 11.1 CR and the 1.8 has 9.5 CR.

However the M16 do have a higher cylinder block and i guess more crank throw than the M13 so i guess the M16 is already maxed out except for the bore.
There is also a M15 sport engine and that could possibly be a M13 with more crank throw..

Cost compared to what you get is of course way beyond reason wich makes it kind of fun to do i guess. :)

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

More
12 Feb 2018 08:55 #189282 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic M series stroker
I looked into all this before doing a 1.6 swap and it is indeed much easier to just swap the engines. The 1.6 engine is a stroked 1.3 with a taller block. To achieve the same in the 1.3 block you would need custom pistons and if you are going to that much effort why penalise yourself by using the block with least potential? Spend the money on bike throttle bodies for the 1.6 instead...

• Lambert
    Registered
More
12 Feb 2018 09:08 #189283 by Lambert
Hmmm. I think I could have a plan forming here. A 1.6 bored to 1.8, with forged internals and some induction assistance. Like you say Busta 1.6s are quite cheap as a base and put the money into the guts of it. A gearbox eater.

• ilten
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Feb 2018 17:30 #189291 by ilten
Replied by ilten on topic Re:M series stroker
Where do you find cheap 1.6 engines? Around here (Germany) they are quite costly. Maybe a shopping trip is in order...?

Gesendet von meinem SM-T310 mit Tapatalk

• Lambert
    Registered
More
12 Feb 2018 17:55 #189292 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re:M series stroker
There's a couple on UK eBay for around 200 pounds plus delivery. That's the cheap end, top line are around 1200 pounds for low mileage late examples.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
12 Feb 2018 18:29 #189293 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Re:M series stroker
I got my 1.6 vvt from a 2010 crashed low miles swift sport for £280, probably that again on bits to make it all fit and run properly (liana throttle body currently). Runs sweet as a sweet thing :-)

Bike throttle body's would be interesting. Be nice to get a bit more go out of it without going down the turbo route.

Can you get/import the 1.8 injectors and try them in the 1.6 engine?

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
12 Feb 2018 23:26 #189303 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic M series stroker
I don't think the injectors are close to their limits on a standard 1.6. The inlet and exhaust manifolds are an obvious restriction though. Motorbike throttle bodies would solve the inlet issue and have provision for suitably sized injectors, and a tubular manifold would help with the exhaust. Find a set of sporty cams (swift sport?) and fit a megasquirt and you would probably be knocking on the door of 130hp.

But I still think fitting an MX5 engine and gearbox will be the best route to get good performance. 138hp standard from the older 1.8s and plenty of potential for forced induction. If I didn't have 3 motorbikes and a track car taking up my shed time that's the route I'd be going down with a Jimny.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
13 Feb 2018 05:32 #189306 by Lambert
Time really is the biggest challenge for me too. I get the point about the mx5 motor but I would like to keep it Suzuki if I could. Either way it would be a lot of fun with a turbo.

More
13 Feb 2018 06:41 #189307 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Re:M series stroker

ilten wrote: Where do you find cheap 1.6 engines? Around here (Germany) they are quite costly. Maybe a shopping trip is in order...?

Gesendet von meinem SM-T310 mit Tapatalk

In Norway for some reason the m16a from a Liana is half the price of a m16a from the other Suzuki cars.
And it is the same engine.
Approx. 600£ or 500€ at a wrecker for the Liana and twice that for a swift engine.

I guess it relates to the used car prices and that Liana is a reasonably priced car compared to the others.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

Time to create page: 0.202 seconds