BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Problem after tracking

• bodsjim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Mar 2017 18:35 #178746 by bodsjim
Problem after tracking was created by bodsjim
Here's a question , my 03 Jimmy hasn't shown any problems with the death wobble problem , but yesterday I a removed the back wheels to clean off some rust from the drums and b , I had the wheel alignment set by my local sts centre . Since that day I now have a violent shave on the steering wheel at 45 mph . Could there be a link with either of these things starting off my problem ? Cheers all , these little cars really do grow on you don't they !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Mar 2017 03:22 #178767 by Halford
Replied by Halford on topic Problem after tracking
wouldn't blame anything specific on developing the wobble,
simply jacking it up can result in the death wobble developing

but violent shake at 45mph = certain kingpin bearing wear and maybe even kingpins - do you have any car history, have they ever been done ?

;)

More
03 Mar 2017 07:44 #178768 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic Problem after tracking

bodsjim wrote: these little cars really do grow on you don't they !

A bit like crack or meth... :evil:

Have a check of the track rod ends....

• bodsjim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Mar 2017 07:45 #178769 by bodsjim
Replied by bodsjim on topic Problem after tracking
Mmm. Just had service as well and I hadn't driven it since . Mechanic said he didn't feel any play but I suppose even a small amount can cause problems ? I think I'm going to start with checking balance and wheel mating faces and swap front to back . Could do without this I've only just bought it and can't enjoy it while this is going on . Cheers

• bodsjim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Mar 2017 19:30 #178791 by bodsjim
Well , went to my local depot today and they couldn't balance that type of wheel said they needed a commercial balancer . Bugger

More
03 Mar 2017 19:33 #178792 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Problem after tracking
If I leave my car standing still for a week, it has a terrific wobble at 45mph. Caused by flat spots on the tyres. It gradually gets better after a few miles, and isn't there in regular use. I keep meaning to push it backwards and forewards when it is parked up, but the days flash by when you get older.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• bodsjim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Mar 2017 17:41 #178823 by bodsjim
Well had my tracking rechecked by ats today and wheels balanced , the jimny is toeing in a little bit after the first people adjusted it . Wheels were slightly out of balance but not too much , they balanced them using the centre hole ( any disadvantage over using stud holes ? ) is it likely that a small amount of toe in can highlight the steering shake at 43 ish mph ? They didn't seem to think so and left it as it was . It's got the three spoke alloys , I was wondering whether to ditch these and get some steels but don't really want the expense unless I'm sure that they are the cause . Any comments appreciated thanks

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds