BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

IT WONT START

More
01 Apr 2016 09:25 #164731 by gilburton
Replied by gilburton on topic IT WONT START
A few years back we had a Nissan Micra and while on holiday one night I couldn't park where I wanted to in the car park so later on I came out and moved it just a few yards.
Next morning it wouldn't start so I had to call out the AA.
He said we have had a few of these and pulled the fuse on the injection system and the car started virtually straight away.
He ran it until the surplus fuel had gone and then replaced the fuse.
After that I made sure I never shut it off after a few seconds.
That's the problem with injection systems you can't clear it by flooring the throttle (as in carbs) it just gives more fuel.

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• littletriple
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Apr 2016 09:46 #164733 by littletriple
Replied by littletriple on topic IT WONT START
Hi
thanks for that, exactly what happenned to us!! The night before I turned the car around (it was cold) & parked, it would have been running for less than a minute & next morning it wouldnt fire up. With hindsight our repeated attempts would simply made it worse & we had to get it recovered to the garage. They managed to get it going & drove it onto the recovery truck :blush: Flooded with no other fault is the diagnosis & they also said its quite a common thing on all cars.
So what about the over rich mixture on start up & high idle when cold? Normal?

• Paterson
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Apr 2016 16:29 #164745 by Paterson
Replied by Paterson on topic IT WONT START
mines deffinetly not a flooding issue there no fuel getting to the rail to flood it with

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Apr 2016 09:08 #164798 by mickt
Replied by mickt on topic IT WONT START
The engine "over fuels" when it is cold.( in lieu of choke) It senses this through the output of the water coolant sensor. Maybe that is not working correctly and the ecu is over fuelling in response when the water is hot!

• littletriple
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Apr 2016 13:16 #164841 by littletriple

mickt wrote: The engine "over fuels" when it is cold.( in lieu of choke) It senses this through the output of the water coolant sensor. Maybe that is not working correctly and the ecu is over fuelling in response when the water is hot!

thanks for that! I guessed there would be a sensor somewhere to monitor engine temp. Do you know where it is?

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Apr 2016 18:36 - 04 Apr 2016 18:58 #164865 by mickt
Having re read your initial entry then yes it does get extra fuel when cold and the engine revs go up accordingly. As the engine warms up and the water temp in the block goes up then the ecu trims accordingly. You should hear the revs dropping to if you are stationary and throttle is closed. As said earlier opening the throttle just dumps more fuel in and can flood the engine. What engine has yous got. G13bb or m13a?
The G13BB is on the intake manifold at the front and the M13A is at the rear of the head on the left looking from the front.
Last edit: 04 Apr 2016 18:58 by mickt. Reason: amendment to the text

• littletriple
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Apr 2016 08:50 #164886 by littletriple
Hi mickt,

Yes, your description is exactly what we get. When cold the engine will idle at around 3000. This falls as the engine warms up & eventually returns to normal. It seems very high to me & would support the theory of a faulty sensor also resulting in an over rich mixture too. What is the expected idle speed when cold (0 degrees)?
Thanks for the sensor position info, this is the m13a.

• Paterson
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Apr 2016 16:33 #164908 by Paterson
seems its turned into problems about other jimnys issues than the one I am having with mine

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Apr 2016 16:57 - 05 Apr 2016 16:58 #164909 by mickt
It happens all the time unfortunately. Better if people just started their own threads but perhaps its the sign of the times! It is not only this forum that it happens. Others do too!
Anyway any progress on your defect yet
Last edit: 05 Apr 2016 16:58 by mickt. Reason: amendment to the text to clarify

• Paterson
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Apr 2016 17:30 #164911 by Paterson
solved my issue is was a break in the wiring loom blue wire to the main relay in the engine bay .
as soon as i repaired this i had the engine managment light and imobiliser light all showing as they should with ignition on and i could read the ecu with a code reader .seems that wire was quiet an important one haha

• littletriple
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Apr 2016 20:35 - 05 Apr 2016 20:36 #164934 by littletriple

Paterson wrote: seems its turned into problems about other jimnys issues than the one I am having with mine

Point taken. sorry about that, :blush: Glad you found your problem.
Last edit: 05 Apr 2016 20:36 by littletriple.

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds