BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Factory diesel Jimnys (DDiS) - all info about them

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Oct 2015 00:26 #153763 by TomDK

facade wrote:

TomDK wrote: It's a far better engine than the ancient 1.7TD Isuzu.

Now that I disagree with, you won't get 250,000+ miles out of a K9K with only a quick thinning down of the valve shims to get the compression back like you used to with an Isuzu (NA it has to be said, I don't think there is a turbo ever made that would last that long) ;)

250k miles ain't no big thing on a modern turbo diesel that is well maintained and not too many cold runs. There simply is no reason to stick with these old diesels in my opinion. sure it's better fuel economy than standard 1.3 engine, but so is the 1.6, and far cheaper to install.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Dave cc
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Oct 2015 19:02 - 16 Oct 2015 19:08 #153795 by Dave cc
Really don't start dishing out advice until you have worked on them engines they are shit ohhh and I'm sorry did I actually mention Isuzu ???????? some things on here are just the same then advice from the miss informed ohhh by the way tom I'm running a LS 3 now anyway so you can pick holes in that now fill y boots bud
Last edit: 16 Oct 2015 19:08 by Dave cc.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Oct 2015 19:35 - 17 Oct 2015 03:47 #153802 by TomDK

Dave cc wrote: Really don't start dishing out advice until you have worked on them engines they are shit ohhh and I'm sorry did I actually mention Isuzu ???????? some things on here are just the same then advice from the miss informed ohhh by the way tom I'm running a LS 3 now anyway so you can pick holes in that now fill y boots bud

Wouldn't have expected anything else from you Dave. You're not exactly unbiased. ;)

Ls3... Wow so now you're one of the big guys?? B)
Last edit: 17 Oct 2015 03:47 by TomDK.

• Decklandpt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Oct 2015 03:10 #153853 by Decklandpt
my first jimny was a ddis, a 65hp one.
now i'm running a 1.3 non vvt m13a and i got to say the ddis was shit.
the only good thing about it was that it requiered less clutch in city driving, and in low gear had much more torque at low rpm wich let me cruise down a dirt road in 2nd with both feet off the pedals. that and looks. i really miss the fake power bulge

it was super noisy compared to the petrol one. on a cold winter morning, starting it up the sound was so bad you'd think it was diying.
was super unstable in the wet. entering a roundabout hard leaning on the shocks, and even doing just 20mph i'd be sideways like a drift champ. fun if all by myself on the road, but super stressfull if there was traffic. in the dry,meh, only unstable during hard braking.
driving in the wet up a incline, you either kept it above 2000rpm and tried not to give it too much steering angle, or you'd dip below 2000rpm, lose all power, give it the beans and once the turbo kicked in you'd be sliding like a madman.
if you parked in a downhill street and had to use reverse in order to get out of the parkling spot, if it was wet you'd have to use 4wd, or even low gear in order for the back not spining and nudging the car in front of you. even in the dry it would do that sometimes.
and then there's the reliability and maintenace costs....
not every shop would want to touch it. if you had a problem and weren't sure of what it was, it could be a pain finding out becouse of all the electronics and emissions crap.
i personally had a shot egr valve, messed up injectors, loss of power with white smoke followed by a burst of power and a cloud of black smoke, never found out what it was.
blocked egr valve then leads to turbo damage.
thank god it went to the junkyard and it wasn´t my fault. what i spent on the shop with regular maintenance was double of what i spend now.
and the fuel savings are almost non existent. with M/T's i did 7 liters per 60miles, on the petrol one i do 7,7 to 8,2l per 60miles. it's like 6€ extra every tank of fuel. does not make up for the rest of the costs.
plus, i felt like the engine was much more sensitive to hard use. i was always afraid of beating on it. with the petrol one i just dont care. the engine is cheap to mend and loves to rev. and then there's the sound...this one over 5000rpm sounds like a bike, and the ddis just sounded like a generator...
my experience with it was so bad that i'll never by a diesel engine again.

• Dave cc
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Oct 2015 22:08 #153891 by Dave cc
I rest my case lol I don't understand this affliction of fitting French engines in Japanese cars Nissan did it in there vans and that xtrail thing and others and it was horrible so Suzuki thought wooopeee seems like a crap engine let's fit it Suzuki should have had a modern Isuzu or or Toyota maybe the d4d engine not some French rubbish

More
19 Oct 2015 07:09 #153897 by Bosanek
Update:

The DIY copper manifold was installed four days ago. After that, I traveled about 150 km including start-stop city driving, forced high RPM highway driving (3800 rpm), and a long low range off road stretch.

No leaks were noticed at all.

Conclusion: the solution is proper!

More
20 Oct 2015 12:21 #153991 by Bosanek
Here is a diesel DDiS Jimny in some off-roading efforts (you can hear the engine revs end so on):

Pardon us for somewhat bad offroad handling and driving, the video was recorded only a week after I bought the car!

• irishguy123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Oct 2015 12:55 #153994 by irishguy123
Replied by irishguy123 on topic Factory diesel Jimnys (DDiS) - all info about them

Dave cc wrote: I rest my case lol I don't understand this affliction of fitting French engines in Japanese cars Nissan did it in there vans and that xtrail thing and others and it was horrible so Suzuki thought wooopeee seems like a crap engine let's fit it Suzuki should have had a modern Isuzu or or Toyota maybe the d4d engine not some French rubbish

The 1.9ddis Suzuki use in the Grand Vitara is also a bit of a dog from Renault, although I think it's mostly the emissions crap that is bolted to it.

There aren't many post 2005 diesel engines that I'd buy to be honest. Too light, too much emissions crap, turbo problems, dmf problems etc etc.... I miss the days when diesel engines were slow but ran forever :silly:

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Oct 2015 13:01 #153997 by TomDK
Disabling the Egr valve in the software or just blanking it off makes the engine run much smoother and more economical. Especially the low powered 65/70 bhp version.

More
20 Oct 2015 13:21 #154000 by auchenblae
DK

I hope you are not suggesting that people do this to their vehicles as it will increase the emmissions!

I hope you were stating this for educations reasons only.

eddie

16 SZ3
07 JLX+ gone 16
99 JLX gone 07

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Oct 2015 19:53 #154121 by 1066Boy
I would like to take the Derv engine out of my Alfa 159 and put it into the Jimny.
1910 cc, 150 bhp, 320 nm torque, 130+ mph, 50+ mpg.
I think the transmission would need beefing up a bit. :laugh:

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Oct 2015 21:00 #154140 by TomDK

1066Boy wrote: I would like to take the Derv engine out of my Alfa 159 and put it into the Jimny.
1910 cc, 150 bhp, 320 nm torque, 130+ mph, 50+ mpg.
I think the transmission would need beefing up a bit. :laugh:

Why such a heavy lump on an already very nose-heavy vehicle ?

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds