BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Swapping ecu

• rexthecat
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Jun 2015 06:22 #146557 by rexthecat
Swapping ecu was created by rexthecat
Tried swapping my ecu but now won't start, check engine flashing. I thought the key for the new ecu needed to be somewhere near the steering column / ignition barbell as thats where the transmitter thing ( is it called a transducer?) is. is that right?

Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jun 2015 06:35 #146560 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Swapping ecu
You need the transducer or receiver thingy from the donor car too or it won't be able to read the code. That's my understanding but I'm far from being an expert on it.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• rexthecat
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Jun 2015 06:53 #146563 by rexthecat
Replied by rexthecat on topic Swapping ecu
Yup cheers, all new to be! I think the key reader is part of the barrel right? Has anyone got any photos? Can't find much on google. Any help much appreciated

Cheers

More
25 Jun 2015 07:11 #146566 by j999pre
Replied by j999pre on topic Swapping ecu
No the key reader on yours isn't pay off the barrel it's the smaller metal box up under the dash. This has to be close enough to the key to read it and needs be swapped with the ecu in case that was faulty. You need to swap barrel, ecu and reader and keep the reader close to the barrel

Later cars the reader is the black ring around the barrel

Gold Jimny the best colour (sold) :(

Big red Jimny 32" tyres, arbs, cage 5:1 transfer etc. (Sold)

Grey pick up Jimny
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS

More
25 Jun 2015 09:56 #146569 by Rhinoman
Replied by Rhinoman on topic Swapping ecu
There is an antenna around the ignition switch to read the key, the metal box is the immobiliser and the codes in the key must match those in the immobiliser. The immobiliser codes must also match those in the ECU. The later models have the antenna integrated into the immobiliser housing.

Some Suzukis and a bunch of motorcycles.

• rexthecat
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Jun 2015 19:51 #146594 by rexthecat
Replied by rexthecat on topic Swapping ecu
Grand, thanks both, got it started and running up to op temp fine without pulling any faults, so far so good, yet to get it on the road to test though.

One thing, the coded key needs to be in an exact position and Im not sure how I will tie it up there. Seems a pain to get to the screw that holds the reader in place without removing the whole instrument cluster. Will it work just to use the key reader from the ignition barrel I got with the lock set, plug that in and tie it up with the key under the dash?

Cheers

More
26 Jun 2015 16:46 #146642 by Rhinoman
Replied by Rhinoman on topic Swapping ecu
The antenna around the ignition barrel is interchangeable.

Some Suzukis and a bunch of motorcycles.

More
19 May 2023 16:55 #249181 by Sinanonboard
Replied by Sinanonboard on topic Swapping ecu
Which ecu you have swapped?
I swapped my engine with a M18 engine from suzuki liana, but currently using the jimny’s stock ecu 2F, but planning to swap the ecu as well from the M18 Liana, any leads would be helpful.

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds