BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Vacuum hubs picture engaged hubs

• Chris de Raat
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Mar 2015 09:42 #139566 by Chris de Raat
Vacuum hubs picture engaged hubs was created by Chris de Raat
Dear forum members,

A month ago I bought a Jimny for our daughter to drive in.. ( and for me fun as well as a project to "restore" and ofcoarse to drive offroad)
The one item I seem not to be able to fix myself are the vacuum hubs..(I read all the posts...)
Replaced the vacuum hoses, checked the valves, vacuum switch etc and everything seems to work (you can hear the vacuum in the hubs) but no physical engaging of the hubs unfortunality.. Removing the black "air locking hub assembly" shows a nice clean axle, circlip and thrust washer etc..but should it be possible to engage the hub manually?
If someone has a picture of can explain me what should move you would help me a lot..
I have the technical manual wich was a great help to check all the electronic components but it gives me not a clear idea if the next step is to remove the wheelbearing or if I can fix it without doinng that..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Mar 2015 19:48 #139654 by fast forward
my vac hubs have packed in and all the recent snow in sheffield yes i put it in 4wd manually by undoing the 6 bolts on each front hub and wobbling the cogs in each hub till they pop out then fix them back on opposite to put back into 2wd bit cold on fingers in the snow but better than getting stuck :blink:

if you cant go round it go over it ! or vice versa ?

• Butta
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Mar 2015 20:24 #139659 by Butta

More
02 Mar 2015 21:25 #139671 by Johnniehec

fast forward wrote: my vac hubs have packed in and all the recent snow in sheffield yes i put it in 4wd manually by undoing the 6 bolts on each front hub and wobbling the cogs in each hub till they pop out then fix them back on opposite to put back into 2wd bit cold on fingers in the snow but better than getting stuck :blink:

Mine have been locked like this and the pipes on the back of the hubs blocked off to stop the water getting in for about two years, no need to take them apart and "unlock' them, 4wd is disconnected when you move the transfer lever , or button, back to 2WD.

On the 8th Day God made the LandRover -
On the 9th day he swapped it for a Jimny.

• polony
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Mar 2015 13:28 #139733 by polony
Replied by polony on topic Vacuum hubs picture engaged hubs
No need to unlock except that you are dragging your front driveshaft and axle along for the ride, so you will see increased wear there and worse fuel economy.

More
03 Mar 2015 14:12 #139738 by mlines
This blog post here shows the hubs in a locked and unlocked position

bigjimny.com/index.php/entry/150-51009-f...in-the-field-v15-208

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tadpole, Chris de Raat

• Chris de Raat
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Mar 2015 15:27 #140225 by Chris de Raat
Replied by Chris de Raat on topic Vacuum hubs picture engaged hubs
Thanks for the replies and comments..
After looking at the pictures I noticed that my airlocking hubs where not complete! bought two used ones for €80,- installed them this weekend and it works great now...

• Tadpole
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Mar 2015 19:24 #140251 by Tadpole
Replied by Tadpole on topic Vacuum hubs picture engaged hubs
Pleased to hear you had an easy fix ..... ;)

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds