BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Power loss puzzle

• Lorry
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Feb 2015 11:37 #137996 by Lorry
Replied by Lorry on topic Power loss puzzle
I also had a similar problem and think we can over think things sometimes, mine was sound until warmed up we had a code reader on and all sorts i then said to my mate you don't think it's something as simple as spark plugs do you? We whipped them out and I would swear they were the same one's that it rolled off the production line with back in 2003 and an iffy lead its a little tornado now once swapped.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Russ-41
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Feb 2015 16:31 - 16 Feb 2015 16:32 #138117 by Russ-41
Replied by Russ-41 on topic Power loss puzzle
I think some garages today expect cars to tell them exactly what's wrong and think "stupid computer!" when it doesn't tell them.

I say, stupid technician! :woohoo: :P

If these on board computers didn't exist, diagnosis of most faults would probably be much quicker :pinch:
Last edit: 16 Feb 2015 16:32 by Russ-41.

• pam
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Feb 2015 21:17 #138144 by pam
Replied by pam on topic Power loss puzzle
They did a full service on it and a thorough check up after the second time it spluttered. (£60 of new spark plugs went on ,are they gold plated ????) and it still did it again! I think they were relying on it happening while they were test driving it around and it hasn't happened to them.

It took me one evening and a post on here..... picking up new camshaft sensor tomorrow and hoping, everyone get their fingers crossed, that will fix it.

• pam
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Feb 2015 17:56 #138323 by pam
Replied by pam on topic Power loss puzzle
The new camshaft sensor did not fix the problem.....................
:(

Any other ideas anyone?

• troggy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Feb 2015 19:46 #138349 by troggy
Replied by troggy on topic Re:Power loss puzzle
You sure get the best advice here. It's a great site Mr Lines!

More
18 Feb 2015 19:53 #138352 by Basketcase
Replied by Basketcase on topic Re:Power loss puzzle
There's 2 sensors, what reg is your Jimny? If you open the bonnet and look at the engine from the front there's a sensor on the front of the engine in top right hand corner the crankshaft sensor, have they tried replacing that one?

More
18 Feb 2015 20:23 #138357 by j999pre
Replied by j999pre on topic Re:Power loss puzzle
That's the camshaft sensor. On the m series the crankshaft sensor is just under the alternator and is often the cause of sputtering and cutting out but normally puts the cel light on and causes the rev counter to spasm

Gold Jimny the best colour (sold) :(

Big red Jimny 32" tyres, arbs, cage 5:1 transfer etc. (Sold)

Grey pick up Jimny
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS

• pam
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Feb 2015 20:41 #138360 by pam
Replied by pam on topic Re:Power loss puzzle
Its 55 plate, mode?, VVT, japanese, M13AA,

So checklist

Plugs new
oil changed
oil filter new
air filter new
Full service
exhaust checked
cam sensor changed

They are talking about going for the petrol pump again which is going to be vvv expensive.

Does anyone know how much Stoneacre Suzuki charge epr hour etc
Giving up on local garage :S :dry:

More
18 Feb 2015 20:57 #138363 by j999pre
Check the earth on the front of the manifold 10mm bolt. Battery leads tight? Engine earth down near the starter?

Find someone near you with a m13a jimny (doesn't need to be vvt). Swap coils and plug leads if they will. 5 minute job. Go for a run.

If they are really friendly and good with the spanners see if you can try their CRANKSHAFT sensor. Go for a run.

Have they read the fault codes?

Grey pick up Jimny
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS

More
18 Feb 2015 20:59 #138364 by j999pre
My money is still on crankshaft sensor. Take a bottle of water with you. Go for a run until it splutters. Stop. Squirt water on the crankshaft sensor see if it now runs okay. Sounds a bit rough but it's a good test.

Grey pick up Jimny

• pam
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Feb 2015 21:11 #138367 by pam
Replied by pam on topic Re:Power loss puzzle
No faults showing at all, Dont know anyone else with a jimny .... unless i go accost someone in a carpark lol

Camshaft sensor changed yesterday, drove great to work, approx 25miles but within half a mile (crawling 10mph in traffic) coming home from work it started spluttering again. rested it 2 mins and it set back off again fine.

More
18 Feb 2015 21:32 #138373 by Halford
Replied by Halford on topic Power loss puzzle
What about the Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve (EGR valve) ?

If the engine stumbles or stalls at idle or lacks power under load, the EGR may be staying on and not shutting off.

The EGR Valve helps reduce harmful emissions by introducing a small amount of exhaust gas, below the throttle plate, into the intake manifold. This has the effect of cooling the combustion chambers, as the incoming exhaust displaces part of the oxygen in the combustion chamber and takes up volume, even though it does not support combustion.

not an expert though :unsure:

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds