BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Vacuum Switch and Filters

More
29 Jan 2015 15:59 #136391 by auchenblae
Looks like the switch has gone so it stays at max impedace even with vacuum so flashing 4wd light.

The mice have eaten both little filters.

Switch £80 and filters £10 each.

Can you make filters from foam off a sponge.

Getting at the vacuum switch on a 07 is virtually impossible.

Reading Kirkynuts sticky is tempting!

eddie

16 SZ3
07 JLX+ gone 16
99 JLX gone 07

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• troggy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Jan 2015 16:48 #136394 by troggy
Replied by troggy on topic Vacuum Switch and Filters
Just fit a switch, its a piece of p*** to do, I fitted a metal toggle for about £3.

• troggy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Jan 2015 16:49 #136395 by troggy
I thought flashing 4wd light meant it does not sense enough vacuum, so that should point to a leaky vacuum system?

More
29 Jan 2015 18:44 #136403 by auchenblae
Not a piece of piss to do at all. It took ages to get it off. I could then get at the electrical connections which I thought I had got to but it seems not and it did switch to making a circuit at 15kPa bit a below half the 40kPa number in the workshop manual, that's not the problem.

The vacuum reservoir is holding its pressure. Will test the solenoid / vacuum valves for leakage next.

I can find no leaking flexi tubes.

The across the axle metal tubes were new in the summer so will check again but they should be fine

There are three filters one on the vacuum switch and one on each of the two solenoids/ vacuum valves.

They are relitivly small and not made of much. One is not eaten by the mice.

eddie

16 SZ3
07 JLX+ gone 16
99 JLX gone 07

More
29 Jan 2015 21:07 #136416 by Rhinoman
Replied by Rhinoman on topic Vacuum Switch and Filters

auchenblae wrote: Can you make filters from foam off a sponge.

I should think so, as I understand it the filters are there to damp out pulses in the vacuum, if you can find some similar foam then it should work OK.

Some Suzukis and a bunch of motorcycles.

More
29 Jan 2015 23:38 #136432 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Vacuum Switch and Filters
There should only be 2 filters, one on each solenoid valve.

They are to stop water, dirt and dead things getting into the vacuum lines, so anything that lets air through will do.

(When you apply vacuum to one side of the hub, air goes into the other side, to push it over, through one of the filters.)

The third filtery thing is likely the non return valve in the line from the manifold to the vacuum tank.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• troggy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Jan 2015 07:13 #136518 by troggy
About the switch, all I did was cut the wires to the switch, shove them back into the car and attach to a toggle?
Apologies if it's different on yours?
The switch on mine just goes to earth telling the control box to do vacuum stuff.

More
31 Jan 2015 16:54 #136558 by auchenblae

troggy wrote: About the switch, all I did was cut the wires to the switch, shove them back into the car and attach to a toggle?
Apologies if it's different on yours?
The switch on mine just goes to earth telling the control box to do vacuum stuff.

I get your logic and am tempted to do just tht but not just yet. The switch is working but I may test the system with the wires shorted.

eddie

16 SZ3
07 JLX+ gone 16
99 JLX gone 07

More
31 Jan 2015 17:00 #136562 by j999pre
Replied by j999pre on topic Vacuum Switch and Filters
I have a set of solenoids and a vac sensor

Gold Jimny the best colour (sold) :(

Big red Jimny 32" tyres, arbs, cage 5:1 transfer etc. (Sold)

Grey pick up Jimny
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS

• troggy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Jan 2015 17:02 #136563 by troggy
Yes I see, as mine is an 02 and the vac system is about shot anyway I didn't have much to loose. As it is I have a sexy 'lock' toggle which locks the hubs but won't unlock as most of the rest is rotted through.
If I can be ars** when it's a bit warmer I might reroute the whole vac system through the engine bay and drop down each side. Or sell it and get a newer one!

• troggy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Jan 2015 17:07 #136565 by troggy
Would be tempted to buy them off you j999pre?

More
31 Jan 2015 17:25 #136568 by auchenblae

facade wrote: There should only be 2 filters, one on each solenoid valve.

They are to stop water, dirt and dead things getting into the vacuum lines, so anything that lets air through will do.

(When you apply vacuum to one side of the hub, air goes into the other side, to push it over, through one of the filters.)

The third filtery thing is likely the non return valve in the line from the manifold to the vacuum tank.

There are three filters one on each solenoid valve and one on the vacuum switch, No idea what the one on the vacuum switch does does as the vacuum switch will hold a vacuum for a few hours.

There is no filter on the check valve which is working to spec.

There is only a voltage to one solenoid valve at a time. and with no voltage on the other solenois there is no path between the hub side of the valve and the check valve or filter pipes.

With no voltage on the solenoid there is a path between the check valve input and the filter.

Therefore if there is voltage to the disengage valve there is a vacuum at that side of the hub but the engage solenoid valve is closed so there is route for air to get out the filter.

I proved that by putting pressure on the hub side of the solenoid valve with no voltage applied to the solenoid and it held until I connected 12 volts to the solenoid valve.

The Suzuki workshop manual also advises that with no voltage the only path on the solenoid valve is from the check valve tube to the filter tube.

The filter on the engage solenoid valve has been eaten away by mice and if you blow through the check valve input tube on the solenoid valve wih a good filter some air leaks out the filter, on the engage valve which s easier to blow through due to the eaten away filter I assume that it cannot be helping to keep the vacuum up to specs to engage the hub so it may be a part of thhe flashing light problem but once more into the diagnostics.

eddie

eddie

16 SZ3
07 JLX+ gone 16
99 JLX gone 07

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds