BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Jimny spring specs

• TomDK
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jul 2014 12:29 - 09 Jul 2014 13:54 #119564 by TomDK
Jimny spring specs was created by TomDK
I've been doing some research into spring rates and length, trying to get a spring that matches the weight of my jimny.

Here's what I've found out so far.

Were not able to obtain any kind of information on ORA and Jimnybits springs. But it is possible to get a rough estimate of spring rate by measuring number of active coils, wire diameter and a few other parameters, enter the number in a spring rate calculator and voila.. there's the spring rate. From what I've learnt so far, these calculators aren't that far off.

Here's a calculator:
www.pontiacracing.net/js_coil_spring_rate.htm

Here's a link to the complete Old Man Emu catalogue:
www.arbusa.com/Uploads/PDF/onlineManuals...ME_Guide_current.pdf

Some info on King springs, which can be bought here:
www.euro4x4parts.com/parts/urh1038-1952_...ng_king_springs.html

These King H/D front springs are for a 2" lift. The rate for this spring is 140 lbs/inch. I don't have any other info on these springs. For more info, write an email to King springs, they answer witin a day or two.

Have some more info on Trail Master springs:

Spring no. 76043 jimny front 50mm lift
Wire diameter: 12 mm
Free Length: 368 mm
Spring rate: 26 N/mm ~ 148 lbs/inch

Spring no. 76053
Wire diameter: 13 mm
Free Length: 353 mm
Spring rate: 36 N/mm ~ 205 lbs/inch

Spring no. 76086
Wire diameter: 13 mm
Free Length: 368 mm
Spring rate: 40 N/mm ~ 228 lbs/inch

These are all front springs, as this is where the weight is mostly affected by winch, bumper and so on. But the OME catalogue also contains specs in rear springs.

As you can see, Trail Master and OME have different ways of how they make a lift. Looking a the 40mm lift diesel springs from OME, they're 360mm free length, where Trail Master +75mm Diesel springs are only 8 mm longer, but much harder.

I have only tried a rough measure of my ORA +4" springs and entered the numbers in the calculator. Ended with something around 130 lbs/inch. So really not at all suitable for a heavy bumper and winch, which I also suspected as I have a major sag with winch and bumper fitted.

EDIT

I've just tried entering the specs for a standard Jimny front spring.

Wire diameter: 11.2 mm roughly
Free length: 330 mm
no of active coils: 7 roughly

Spring rate 125 lbs/inch. OME catalogue states that standard Jimny springs are 120 lbs/inch, so the calculator is not that far off.

Just measured the Front off-side springs of my ORA springs.

Wire diameter: 12.1 mm, hard to tell exactly due to rust and paint falling off.
Free length: 430mm
No of active coils: 10
Spring rate: 105-110 lbs/inch

As you can see the ORA springs are essentially just very long, very soft springs. Softer than standard Jimny springs. Not even really suitable for a heavy bumper and winch if you ask me. I did suspect the ORA springs were soft, but not this soft.
Last edit: 09 Jul 2014 13:54 by TomDK.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TomDK
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jul 2014 12:50 #119569 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Jimny spring specs
Would be great if those of you with Jimnybits and KAP springs would do the same, posting wire diameter, free length, rate etc...

Just remember it's number of active coils. NOT total number of coils.

More
03 May 2023 17:33 #248940 by Sinanonboard
Replied by Sinanonboard on topic Jimny spring specs
Do you have any info on Ironman 2 inch lift coil springs for Jimny ?

Time to create page: 0.076 seconds