BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Lockrite

• Bigchridy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Oct 2010 19:26 #5425 by Bigchridy
Lockrite was created by Bigchridy
Has anyone fitted a lockrite diff lock to either front or rear or both diffs on their Jimny? I have been looking at these on youtube and they look like a good bit of kit. I would ideally be after a Kam diff lock but these are quite expensive!

If anyone has had any experiances with lockrite diff locks any info would be appreciated. Also any pics of fitting a lockrite would be helpful.

Cheers

Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Oct 2010 19:34 #5428 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: Lockrite
Hi
Don't have any photos of fitting but I do have a lockrite fitted to the rear axle.
It is pretty effective piece of kit It is only occasionally I need to use the front ARB and can get up hills that some l*ndr*v*rs get stuck on :cheer:
Its also pretty tough as it has been fitted for quite a few years.
It is automatic so no need to switch any thing on but you can fell it pushing the truck straight on some times when you are doing a tight turn on very slippery mud

• Bigchridy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Oct 2010 20:02 #5434 by Bigchridy
Replied by Bigchridy on topic Re: Lockrite

darthloachie wrote: Hi
Don't have any photos of fitting but I do have a lockrite fitted to the rear axle.
It is pretty effective piece of kit It is only occasionally I need to use the front ARB and can get up hills that some l*ndr*v*rs get stuck on :cheer:
Its also pretty tough as it has been fitted for quite a few years.
It is automatic so no need to switch any thing on but you can fell it pushing the truck straight on some times when you are doing a tight turn on very slippery mud

How come you have an arb on the front? Can you fit lockrites to the front axle? I will be buying the rear locker 1st to try and keep costs down but I will be getting a front one eventually!! From what you have said I take it I'll get away with just a rear locker for a while?:cheer:

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Oct 2010 20:08 #5435 by darthloachie
I'll have to pass on that question as when we bought the truck it came with a lockrite on the rear and the ARB on the front - they were fitted by different owners - the arb when it was used for winch trials

More
27 Oct 2010 20:28 #5438 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re: Lockrite
What's the lockrite like on the road?

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
28 Oct 2010 05:39 #5442 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re: Lockrite
The key difference between a Lockrite style locker and a KAM/ARB style locker is the way they operate.

A Lockrite locker is always locked, until the pressure causes it to unlock and release wind up. Therefore as you corner with it you can feel it unlocking and can hear it, varying from a "click" on a well set up one through to a banging on a poorly set up one. This means you always know its there and have to adopt your driving style a bit.

ARB/KAM lockers are manually controlled through Air or Electric operation. This means you can decide when select them or not. This has an advantage for on-road driving where you can select them off and not know they are there. Equally you can also switch them off when off-roading when a locked diff can cause you more issues than it prevents. For example, on a site I go to there are a number of chalk slopes which are like ice when wet. As you climb them you do not want the front of the car to start slipping around sideways leaving you across the slope! With a rear locker fitted both my back wheels are nicely driven meaning that it spins both rear wheels on the slippery slope which makes the rear of the Jimny snake around, forcing the front to start slipping sideways (gulp). Therefore on this site I often have the locker off to make the rear stay in line with the front.

Having driven both I would always go for ARM/KAM style if you can afford them. Lockrites are cheaper but can mean you lose everyday drivability.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Oct 2010 07:34 #5444 by darthloachie

kirkynut wrote: What's the lockrite like on the road?

Kirkynut

Not too bad but then we only use it to get to the offroad site (or the garage :whistle: )
You can hear clunks and clicks (thought it was the suspension :blush: ) and in the wet you can feel it under-steer a bit but I don't know how much that is due to the special tracks, but in the dry its fine -but then we usually just trundle along at 30 (or 50 on a dual cabbage way)
off road with both lockers working the only time I get stuck is if the diff or radius arms dig in

More
29 Oct 2010 16:02 - 29 Oct 2010 16:06 #5504 by kirkynut

darthloachie wrote:

Kirkynut

Not too bad but then we only use it to get to the offroad site (or the garage :whistle: )
You can hear clunks and clicks (thought it was the suspension :blush: ) and in the wet you can feel it under-steer a bit but I don't know how much that is due to the special tracks, but in the dry its fine -but then we usually just trundle along at 30 (or 50 on a dual cabbage way)
off road with both lockers working the only time I get stuck is if the diff or radius arms dig in

I use mine to do big road miles on holidays to the Lakes, Yorkshire and Derbyshire each year, so would probably opt for a manual locker as Martin says but I've said that after some more aggressive tyres I'll not modify it anymore - but then I said that about not getting a cage and now look at it!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Last edit: 29 Oct 2010 16:06 by kirkynut. Reason: error

• Bigchridy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Oct 2010 16:50 #5511 by Bigchridy
Replied by Bigchridy on topic Re: Lockrite
I think I will have to go down the Lockrite route purely down to the cost issue.:dry: Ideally I would like Kam lockers but they will have to wait till the Jimny is more of a challenge truck!:)

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Oct 2010 19:38 #5527 by darthloachie

kirkynut wrote:

darthloachie wrote:

Kirkynut

I use mine to do big road miles on holidays to the Lakes, Yorkshire and Derbyshire each year, so would probably opt for a manual locker as Martin says but I've said that after some more aggressive tyres I'll not modify it anymore - but then I said that about not getting a cage and now look at it!

Kirkynut

you'll succumb to ARBs yet! :evil:

More
29 Oct 2010 20:35 #5530 by kirkynut

darthloachie wrote:

kirkynut wrote:

darthloachie wrote:

Kirkynut

Kirkynut

you'll succumb to ARBs yet! :evil:

Oh don't - several people in my club take part in the Mission 4x4 winch challenge series and they are always asking me when I am going to take part - I refuse on cost grouns but all I need (he says as if it's not much) is a rear locker, internal cross brace for the cage, rear winch, maybe centre winch and more aggressive tyres and I have a challenge truck!

Resistance is futile but my Mrs wants to reproduce whilst I'm fertile! So it will stay as it is!

Kirkynut

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds