BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Reasons to keep jimny.help,

• jonesyba420
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Nov 2013 12:35 #91091 by jonesyba420
Replied by jonesyba420 on topic Reasons to keep jimny.help,

helijohn wrote:

jonesyba420 wrote: takes ten minutes ish to fit the seats, 8 bolts in total :whistle:

the bolts on the back bits of the seat tend to go rusty tho as they stick out the bottom of the car,bit of copper grease will stop that tho.

And all that lifting!!!

its good to get those muscles moving John, you dont want to seize up especially at your age ;) :whistle: ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Nov 2013 14:02 #91101 by helijohn

jonesyba420 wrote:
its good to get those muscles moving John, you dont want to seize up especially at your age ;) :whistle: ;)

Ah yes...........as James Garner used to say "if I can't phone it in I don't do it! :laugh: :laugh:

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

More
14 Nov 2013 14:11 #91103 by kirkynut

helijohn wrote:

kirkynut wrote: I'm in a situation where I've spent so much money I won't get back
I do love my Jimny though and one other advantage I have with a Jimjam is that it fits in my garage & can still be jacked up & worked on in the warmish & dry.

Kirkynut

That's how I ended up keeping my SJ for 20+ years and I wish I hadn't sold it but it was manual (though a lovely gearbox) and it did not have power steering (though I wish I'd kept the thing and modded that). And in the end it is worth more as a vehicle to use than to sell. I have had mostly 'keeper' motors generally around 10 years per.
You have my respect with the task of putting the rear seats back in as and when, like the ARB, the choice for me is either always on or always off period. I could never use my Jimny as a main car - it'd drive me barmy at my age.

I've never taken my back seats out!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
14 Nov 2013 14:42 #91121 by helijohn

kirkynut wrote:

Kirkynut

Attachments:

More
14 Nov 2013 16:25 #91135 by kirkynut

helijohn wrote:

kirkynut wrote:

Kirkynut

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Poyner111
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Nov 2013 21:38 #91174 by Poyner111
Replied by Poyner111 on topic Reasons to keep jimny.help,
I have an all bells and whistles Octavia but love my jimny, as mentioned it just makes you smile.
Don't care if it goes down a pot hole, scrapes the trees, gets dirty, it's a work horse. And fab for my lads Sunday rugby, chuck them in and bugger the mud :)

• Rangeman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Nov 2013 10:08 #93746 by Rangeman
Replied by Rangeman on topic Reasons to keep jimny.help,
I do not have Jimny yet, but I am going to buy it because it has more power than Defender. ;)
Jimny has 86 HP and 1060 kg, while defender has 122 HP and double weight app 2000 kg.

I wouldn't say it is underpowered.

• jonesyba420
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Nov 2013 10:11 #93747 by jonesyba420
Replied by jonesyba420 on topic Reasons to keep jimny.help,
Its just a shame all the power comes in past 3500rpm and not low down. There not meant to be a rocket ship anyway :laugh:

• TLW
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Nov 2013 05:01 - 30 Nov 2013 05:02 #93949 by TLW
Replied by TLW on topic Reasons to keep jimny.help,
I agree the power to weight ratio is better than the Defender. On paper my SZ4 and 300Tdi have about the same performance figures, but the Jimny is noticeably snappier around town in particular. Steep hill climbs don't seem to cause it as much of a problem either - less chance of finding myself in the wrong gear then losing all speed and momentum while shoving around a yard of gear lever (fatal in a Defender on a steep hill).

Another plus is that the idiots who cut you up all the time or overtake you on the inside when you're changing lanes if you're driving a 2 ton 110 that can swipe their tinny little hatch into the weeds or simply drive over it and never notice seem to behave themselves when faced with a Jimny.

As for the power band, there seems a decent amount of low revs torque to me. Maybe it's the variable valve timing or the low and close gears. It can't quite do the Defender thing of driving for ever and over everything it encounters on tickover at 5-10mph with both my feet on the floor but it's not far off that. Anyway, too much power too low down or too sharp a throttle response at low revs isn't a good idea in an off-roader - too easy to spin the wheels up or lurch around the place over rocks or bumps.
Last edit: 30 Nov 2013 05:02 by TLW. Reason: added a bit

More
30 Nov 2013 09:54 #93964 by Mud_Muppet
Ive thought many a time of getting rid of the jimny for a Landrover Defender 90,

Its swings and roundabouts though, i love the jimny for the reasons that its small, cheap, reliable and i know them almost nut and bolt, also with my offroading style its great, i also have a pretty modified zook with cage winch snorkel etc etc for just under £3k

But its against the arguement that i have always loved landie and have owned a few, they are better on road, more space, cheaper parts, more range of bolt on stuff availbe, can tow a house down,
but they are rubbish offroad as the are so big and useless, crap reliabitly rust worth than anything i know, wont fit in my garage, !!!! And for a simular spec to my jimn you are taking £8k for a good TD5 :0

Im confussed !!!

2001 Red Tin Top,
4.5 inch ORA lift kit,
Pro Comp steering damper
Kap Winch Bumper,
White Weller offset Rims with 30" Insa Turbo Special Tracks,
CB Radio,
Stripped Interia
Roof Rack with 4 front Wipac,
Rear Wipac recovery Lights
.....Plenty more on its way !!!!

More
30 Nov 2013 12:36 #93979 by helijohn

TLW wrote:
Another plus is that the idiots who cut you up all the time or overtake you on the inside when you're changing lanes if you're driving a 2 ton 110 that can swipe their tinny little hatch into the weeds or simply drive over it and never notice seem to behave themselves when faced with a Jimny.

I might have misunderstood but I find I don't get the respect when I am in the Jimny. In fact in my SJ when I had it I had two dangerous close calls. Whereas in a bigger motor there is respect. :whistle: Plus, the bigger Discovery types etc. tend to use bully tactics - I definitely feel insecure in the little Jimny. :angry:

• TLW
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Nov 2013 21:28 - 30 Nov 2013 21:29 #94060 by TLW
Replied by TLW on topic Reasons to keep jimny.help,
All I know is that there's a bit on the ring road where a right turn on a roundabout brings you into the right hand lane of the dual carriageway you turn into. I check the left lane is clear behind, signal left to pull over, start moving and if I'm in the 110 the idiot behind, without signalling, as often as not cuts into the left lane and overtakes me on the left while I'm pulling into that lane. Bloody dangerous, especially as they can very easily end up in a blind spot. Made me paranoid about that junction.

Same junction in Jimny or Mondeo, same speed and everything else, never a problem.

Otherwise, I simply try to refuse to be bullied, simple as that. I did used to own one of the last of the XR3is - a modified 1800 16valve model which used to attract idiots (and police cars) vainly looking to race, so perhaps that's made me immune.

Most scary incident I've ever had was while stationary at red traffic lights. Wouldn't have made any difference what I did or what I was driving. A car coming down the road at 40+ simply never slowed, braked or swerved. Luckily for me he was in the lane to my left. I just heard an engine revving hard followed by an enormous bang, turned my head and discovered a thoroughly totalled car with now dying driver had gone straight into the stationary car in front of him. Made me very nervous at traffic lights for ages.
Last edit: 30 Nov 2013 21:29 by TLW. Reason: typos

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds