BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Another 4wd front hub problem/question

• Beaniemoo
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Oct 2010 13:50 #4959 by Beaniemoo
Another 4wd front hub problem/question was created by Beaniemoo
Hi there
I have searched quite a few times and found a lot of information on this but am still struggling to get to the bottom of this one.
I bought a Jimny for off road and once off road I discovered that although the 4wd light was coming on and everything I only had rear wheel drive.
I struggled on throughout the day, but now I am on the hunt to fix this problem.
I have found out that it is a problem with the vacuum operated free wheeling front hubs.
I have checked the vacuum supply and the switching and all seems to be ok, but the hubs do not engage.
When 4wd is selected you can hear a 'clunk' from either front hub, but when you check 4wd isn't engaged and when you remove the centre they are not engaged. If you engage them manually (as shown in a guide on here) it seems to work ok, but once you move the selector again if puts them back into free wheeling and they won't lock in again.
I have tried removing the centres and lightly greasing them along with the end of the half shafts, and they worked breifly while the car was jacked up, but then soon stopped working again.
If you have 1 wheel off the floor and spin it by hand, then select 4wd, it breifly stops, but then free wheels once again as if they are trying to engage but stopping.
I tried engaging them and then just disconnecting the vacuum hoses to them (as this Jimny will only do short journeys to go off road) but then the 4wd light wouldn't come on when 4wd was selected.
Does anyone haveany experience of this fault, knows of the solution or can think of any further texts/proceedures I can perform to fix this fault?
Or failing that, is there any way of just engaging them and disabling the vacuum operation of them?

Cheers everyone

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Oct 2010 15:51 #4960 by Garry
you can permanently lock the vacume hubs if needed, heard of people filling them up with silicon to lock them,

other best, safer option is to fit free wheeling hubs with the spacers Martin sells in the shop on this site,

i dont it last year and the 4 wheel drive hasnt let me down once

More
06 Oct 2010 15:56 #4961 by mlines
You can lock them permanently by putting a small nut behind the centre ring when it has been manually forced into the locked position. Or you can drill the end cap and put a bolt through to force it into position.

Or you can buy my rings and fit SJ manual hubs or even a permanent locked hub as fitted to the early SJs. This lets you revert back at a later date if you want.

If you want to keep the 4WD light working then block the pipes off up by the solenoids under the bonnet.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
06 Oct 2010 15:59 #4962 by Garry
mlines wrote:

If you want to keep the 4WD light working then block the pipes off up by the solenoids under the bonnet.

Martin

do you have a picture of where to do this?

i get the flashing lights and would like to stop it

• JimBru
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Oct 2010 16:00 #4963 by JimBru
Replied by JimBru on topic Re:Another 4wd front hub problem/question
I had the same problem mate, I traced all of the air pipes and proved they were clear so mine is blocked where it enters the hub.

Instead of messing about with it i'm on the look out for some freewheeling hubs like the lads have mentioned, it will save messing on with the vacuum.

• JimBru
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Oct 2010 16:03 #4964 by JimBru
Its all documented in the How to bit on the home page mate. Its a helpfull little read!!

More
06 Oct 2010 18:09 #4976 by kirkynut
Have a look on difflock at the moment - I'm sure I saw some manual freewheeling hubs on there the other day - you have to be quick as they sell quick!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• JimBru
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Oct 2010 18:14 #4979 by JimBru
yeah i've already e-mailed the lad :)

More
06 Oct 2010 18:16 #4981 by kirkynut
Looks like you've beaten him to them then!!! ;)

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Beaniemoo
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Oct 2010 18:37 #4987 by Beaniemoo
Replied by Beaniemoo on topic Re:Another 4wd front hub problem/question
Cheers for all the replies
Have been out playing around and have manually engaged them. Everything seems to be working fine. Will block the pipes to keep the light from flashing and just leave it like that till I can get some SJ hubs for the near future.
Uber excited about going off road again now, as it was really really hard going in rwd only!

More
06 Oct 2010 18:54 #4991 by kirkynut
Sounds like you've got the bug - some manual hubs will turn up, just keep an eye on ebay and difflock regularly - you have to be quick with them!

Kirkynut

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds