BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

clunk!

• cgauer
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 May 2013 22:05 #70116 by cgauer
Replied by cgauer on topic clunk!
Same issue!

In my case it comes out of the transfer box. Apparently it is the rear output spline/flange... Happens only in 1st gear.

Rear prop removed, 4x4 engaged, clunk gone...

Ideas?

It is a 2009 VVT manual.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Desiris
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 May 2018 10:14 #192504 by Desiris
Replied by Desiris on topic clunk!
Hi all, I just recently joined the forum, some fantastic advice and a wealth of knowledge here!

I've just bought a 2015 Jimny with 16K miles and I have the clunk!

It is quite noticeable and happens when I pull away, reverse, accelerate and lift off especially in the lower gears.

I've checked the tightness of the suspension arms, shocks, prop shaft bolts, gearbox and transfer case mounts, all seem good.

I can't detect any movement in the universal joints.

There is some free play at the rear diff but only about 5-10mm rotation wise.

At the transfer case end of the rear prop there is a very slight amount of play detectable when I push and pull, presumably in the shaft splines?

In 4WD the clunk is still there but much more subdued, same in 4WD Low.

I've had 3 Jimnys before, two older than this one, and I don't remember any of them having this noise.

I'm taking it in to the dealership later this week and just wanted to be prepared if they claim the noise is normal.

So what do you think please?

Cheers

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
08 May 2018 12:19 #192508 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic clunk!
Ermintrude has done it since she was new out of the dealership and it hasn't got any worse in the last 7 years so I kinda ignore it. If it changes then l will attend upon it.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Desiris

• Desiris
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 May 2018 16:28 #192520 by Desiris
Replied by Desiris on topic clunk!
Thanks, that's reassuring but this is loud enough to be slightly embarrassing moving slowly along a busy street, so I don't think it's something I can live with and none of my other Jimnys did it. I forgot to mention when you raise each rear wheel in turn there is a good 10-15mm rotational free play before the prop shaft moves. Does anyone know if this is normal?

• Lambert
    Registered
More
08 May 2018 18:13 #192525 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic clunk!
Oh right, mine is only just noticeable. The back lash seems quite significant, both mine are about half that.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Desiris

• Desiris
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 May 2018 22:17 #192572 by Desiris
Replied by Desiris on topic clunk! Help please anyone....
Hi all, help please.

I'm getting a loud intrusive metallic snapping/clicking/clunking noise when, and sometimes just after, taking up the drive in forward and reverse and when accelerating and lifting off especially in lower gears. It sounds like something is loose or worn in the drive train. My gut feeling says it's the rear prop shaft UJ but there doesn't seem to be any play in it as far as I can tell although it is quite rusty. It's not really noticeable at higher speeds in higher gears or when in 4WD. Can anyone just confirm for me that this noise is definitely not normal in a 3 year old 16K miles Jimny because I'm going to the dealership tomorrow as it came with 12 months warranty, and I don't want to be fobbed off with 'it's a normal characteristic for this vehicle sir'.

Thanks guys

• Lambert
    Registered
More
10 May 2018 04:27 #192573 by Lambert
Have you looked at the intermediate propshaft between the gearbox and transfer box, or examined the rear brake assemblies? Either way if it's under warranty and you're not happy with it then they need to examine the car and if not fix it then offer a meaningful reassurance that if it develops further they'll still cover it.

More
10 May 2018 06:45 - 10 May 2018 06:47 #192574 by grumyoldjoe
Im not been aware of any "clunks" on my 13 plate and Ive had it from new

Just a thought here from a novice, but have you checked the spare wheel and holder is secure? or even the back door hinges ?

Wine improves with age.
The older I get the more I like it
Last edit: 10 May 2018 06:47 by grumyoldjoe.

• Desiris
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 May 2018 06:49 #192575 by Desiris
The shaft between the gearbox and transfer case looks new and it doesn't seem to happen in 4WD so I'm inclined to think the problem is from the transfer case backwards. Brakes are a possibility I guess, I'll let the dealership look at that one.
Thanks for your help on this, I'll let you know what happens.
Cheers

• Desiris
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 May 2018 07:10 #192576 by Desiris
I'm pretty sure it's mechanical as it seems a lot better in 4WD, worth checking though..
Cheers

• Desiris
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 May 2018 12:38 #192579 by Desiris
The Suzuki dealership have acknowledged that the noise is there and it goes in for further investigation next week.
I'll keep you posted.
Cheers

• Desiris
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 May 2018 17:48 #192725 by Desiris
Hi all,

Jimny is at the dealership with their master tech and they say that they have checked the engine mounts and prop shaft etc and can't find any faults although they do recognise the noise is there.

They say they have watched underneath on the ramp and the noise is the prop shaft joints taking up the drive. I told them there shouldn't be any noise or play at all in the prop shaft joints, they replied that there should be a little bit of play and said that they had contacted Suzuki and they were happy with this! I asked if they had actually removed the prop shaft to check the joints and they weren't sure if this had been done.

Just to clarify, the noise is a very noticeable metallic snapping/clunking noise when driving in 1st and 2nd gear when both accelerating and lifting off the throttle. It is loud enough for anyone walking alongside to clearly hear. It sometimes occurs after actually moving off so I don't think it can be backlash in the diff.

They want me to carry on driving it and see if it gets any worse but I don't feel comfortable driving and possibly green laning in something that sounds like it's about to break!

Can I have your thoughts on this PLEASE guys, I don't know what to do.

Can anyone confirm that you really need to take the prop shaft off the car to properly check it?

Cheers

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds