BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Jimny Clutch

• adamatdraycott
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Feb 2013 11:12 #63998 by adamatdraycott
Jimny Clutch was created by adamatdraycott
Jumped in the Jimny last Wednesday having not touched it for about a week. The clutch peddle seemed quite stiff, but loosened up and felt fine.
Today I jump in and again it feels stiff to push down… but it doesn’t seem to be slipping… and after a mile or so it feels normal again!

Is this likely to be the cable?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MWells
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Feb 2013 15:27 #64013 by MWells
Replied by MWells on topic Jimny Clutch
Sounds like it's the cable binding a bit, try lubing it up at both ends.

• adamatdraycott
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Feb 2013 16:10 #64020 by adamatdraycott
Replied by adamatdraycott on topic Jimny Clutch
I also noticed there seems to be quite a bit more play in the top of the peddle… maybe half as much again compared to the usual.

To my understanding, this again points at the cable stretching and binding in the outer sheath.

Might get hold of the local dealers and get them to get one in for me.

Anybody think this sounds like release bearing? I have a full clutch kit in the shed, but don’t want to get it fitted when its just the cable

More
26 Feb 2013 18:03 #64038 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Jimny Clutch
The cable is far easier to change, best to start there, if you can afford a new one, wait 'till you find out how much Suzuki want for one, it must be hand plaited from platinum ;)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Feb 2013 18:08 #64040 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic Jimny Clutch
On the gear box end of the cable remove the plastc cover and you can see the bearing get a bit of wd40 and spray it while some one pumps the pedal it may the the bearing sticking on the shaft and when it warms up i frees up a bit

• adamatdraycott
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Feb 2013 18:38 #64049 by adamatdraycott
Replied by adamatdraycott on topic Jimny Clutch
Just drove it home... And it felt fine!

I have been on to Suzuki quoted 43 quid plus vat so not too bad compared to other parts

If I have more issues I'll start with the cable and get some wd40 on the bearing!

Weird for it to be so bad first thing then fix itself if it is the cable... The bearing idea sounds plausible

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds