BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Brake problem

• pickard
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Feb 2013 18:37 - 07 Feb 2013 22:04 #61333 by pickard
Brake problem was created by pickard
Hello all,
New member here and need a bit of help.

MOT today and failed on off side front brake performance. The garage stripped down the caliper, freed everything up but still the performance is down. Replaced the brake hose in case it was deteriorating from the inside and...performance still not up to MOT standard :(

They are not that familiar with the jimny, but it is a garage I trust to do good work, but they are stumped. Is there anything they ought to be looking at to solve this? I need the vehicle back on the road (and off!) but money is not readily available to sling at it willy nilly on hunches and could be's.

So, if anyone has any suggestions I (and I dare say the garage) would be much appreciative
Last edit: 07 Feb 2013 22:04 by pickard. Reason: corrective text

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Dave cc
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Feb 2013 18:50 #61338 by Dave cc
Replied by Dave cc on topic Brake problem
Check out posts from Gaurdian angel he has been having a mare its like reading the war and peace of brake woes mite help you a bit :laugh:

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Feb 2013 19:43 #61360 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic Brake problem
How about swoping the calipers side to side if the problem moves to the other side you no its the caliper if not then swop the pads and see how i goes from there

• pickard
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Feb 2013 20:22 #61372 by pickard
Replied by pickard on topic Brake problem
Thanks for the suggestions so far, I have waded through all 120 pages of owners issues on here, but not found one that replicates this particular problem.

I cannot find guardian angels post either!, tried the search function, but to no avail.

I am hoping it is not master cylinder related,

Has anyone got a diagram of the braking system they could post , there might be some sort of valve in the system the garage might be overlooking.

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Feb 2013 21:10 #61388 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic Brake problem
There is a load conpensator valve at the rear but that shouldnt affect it you can see the brake pipes from the master cylinder to the brakes also did thay tell you what the readings was cos if it was low performance it would cause an imbalance and fail on that as well

• GuardianAngel
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Feb 2013 22:16 #61405 by GuardianAngel
Replied by GuardianAngel on topic Re: Brake problem

Dave cc wrote: Check out posts from Gaurdian angel he has been having a mare its like reading the war and peace of brake woes mite help you a bit :laugh:

Dont tell me about it :angry:

Pickard, my problem is the pedal goes to the floor occasionally but most of the time its Ok.

Thread of all my woes (and others) can be found here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/7-jimny...-brake-problem-again

I face yet another Saturday under the J replacing parts...

• Dave cc
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Feb 2013 22:29 #61406 by Dave cc
Replied by Dave cc on topic Re: Brake problem
Yeah i have been keeping up with your brake woes getting close to jumpng in the Hiluxury and coming up for a look see so what havent you replaced now ????? :woohoo:

• GuardianAngel
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Feb 2013 22:59 #61413 by GuardianAngel
Replied by GuardianAngel on topic Re: Re: Brake problem

Dave cc wrote: Yeah i have been keeping up with your brake woes getting close to jumpng in the Hiluxury and coming up for a look see so what havent you replaced now ????? :woohoo:

Well tried jamming the brake pedal for 24 hours just in case there was still air trapped but the problem is still occuring. Convinced air is not the problem.

On Saturday I will strip the rear brakes and check the rear adjusters in more detail, degrease and refit.

Then I have a set of new rear soleniods, front disks and pads and rear flexi-hose ready to be fitted if that fails....

• Tadpole
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Feb 2013 10:44 #61450 by Tadpole
Replied by Tadpole on topic Brake problem
Let's hope you have some good luck for a change this weekend GA ................ ;)

• GuardianAngel
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Feb 2013 12:18 #61456 by GuardianAngel
Replied by GuardianAngel on topic Re: Brake problem

Tadpole wrote: Let's hope you have some good luck for a change this weekend GA ................ ;)

Thanks. Heading home now so should have some light to start the job today.

• pickard
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Feb 2013 21:26 #61594 by pickard
Replied by pickard on topic Re: Brake problem
Left it back at the garage today,

They restripped and recleaned the offside caliper and checked the pads for uneven wear. Both pads and discs were replaced two years ago and they are still fine. They checked the master and re-bled the entire system.
Wheels back on and onto the rolling road with no difference. The offside front was still well down while the nearside gave good readings.

Thats when I appeared, I made the suggestion of swopping calipers as per advice here. They didnt know that you could swop them as the Suzuki main dealer told them they were 'handed'!So on the forums advice they stripped both calipers off, swapped them over back on the rolling road and presto..level readings , not particulary high, but good enough to issue a MOT on.

Going to keep a close eye on them over the next few weeks, just hope nothing deteriorates. They feel OK, although they are not the trademark 'throw you through the screen' jimny brakes it used to be, but that could be because the pads are now mated to different discs, perhaps they just need to bed in.

So any ideas why or what has been going on here, This could have been really expensive with 5 hours labour charges, but the garage were kind to me and charged me just £140 today although yesterdays bill was £200 for MOT, Oil and filter change plus a few hours labour sodding about with the hoses, calipers and pads.

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds