BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Jimny Death Wobble fixed for £3.50

• Fieldsports
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Feb 2013 14:31 - 03 Feb 2013 14:50 #60757 by Fieldsports
Jimny Death Wobble fixed for £3.50 was created by Fieldsports
Hello.
I bought this Jimny on a 07 plate and it drove quite well.
Now do not ask me how this happened but I had 4 new tyres fitted / balanced and got new discs and pads .
Next day when driving got up to about 42mph I got the wobble ( lasted until about 50mph )
Tried all the standard stuff, track rod ends, joints, bearings, even has the tyres re inspected.
So reading Martins post about the king pin shims I thought I would order some and give it a try.
They arrived as described. Thanks
Today I got off my lazy a*se and followed Martins instructions and give them a go.
You get 3 sets of 4 shims all different thickness.
I never used a spring pull to try the resistance I began with calliper off and slip the track rod out removed the top king pin and started with the thinnest shim in the top..seemed very easy to turn still, stuck another thin shim in the bottom pin and that felt very good ( not to slack and not too tight )
As it happened the same was put in the other side top and bottom.
I did have my doubts if it would work as there was no play to and bottom when pulling and pushing the hub assembly with the wheel on.
BUT how wrong was I to think that ?

Test drive....Wobble gone !!!!!
Drove all over at the normal wobble speeds and beyond and still no wobble.

It is a quick job to do and very easy.
More to the point for the grand sum of £3.50 I would say it is a bargain price to pay to fix a really annoying problem.

Thanks Martin for the info on here and the parts.

Steve
Last edit: 03 Feb 2013 14:50 by Fieldsports.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Dave cc
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Feb 2013 21:32 #60810 by Dave cc
Replied by Dave cc on topic Jimny Death Wobble fixed for £3.50
Nice one mate bit of adjustment to take out the play easy fix :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.071 seconds