BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Diff locks

• oxford_bloke
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Sep 2010 11:57 #4834 by oxford_bloke
Diff locks was created by oxford_bloke
Hi all,

Im looking to fit some diff locks into my truck however there does not seem to many places about to buy them from I see D44 do them but i am very reluctant to use them as they are so expensive.

Ideally I would like arb's front and rear however, i am considering a KAM rear and a lock right or something similar for the front.

so if anybody has any views on diff locks, and cheap suppliers and fitters it would be very much appreciated.

Cheers
Tom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Sep 2010 19:13 #4837 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re:Diff locks
TBR 4X4 do ARB's but they are not cheap and really you need hardened shafts in any axle running them. It's not an absolute must but you heighten the risk of snapping one.

At the moment you can only get hardened front shafts and cv's from D+G for a lot of money.

KAM are soon to do hardened front shafts with hardened cv's and do some nifty rear shafts where the end bolts on to allow you to press the bearing off without having to cut the retaining ring off.

KAM are cheaper to buy but you need to cut your diff pan off and weld theirs on. They are electric solenoid operated rather than the ARB air system.

I have been told that the mechanism gets caught and stops working if you bend your axle in a KAM diff. This seems an unlikely occurance bit you'd be surprised. I might have bent my front axle now! You could brace the axle too.

I would wait for KAM to sort out their front one and try to strike a deal on it all in one hit. Add a Rocklobster and you'll be unstoppable!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Sep 2010 10:24 #4841 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re:Diff locks
You could try Rob Storr at RS engineering
He does lockrights which are cheaper than ARBs only £160 each

• oxford_bloke
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Sep 2010 19:56 #4863 by oxford_bloke
Replied by oxford_bloke on topic Re:Diff locks
6:1 t box is being manufactured as we speak, think a kam rear for the time being and i'll wire in the front in anticipation for the front one as there rear one is approx 550 with hd shafts where as the arb is 700 without shafts and compressor

cheers guys
tom

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds