BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Steering wheel shake even though wheels balanced?

• Newell
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Jan 2013 15:51 #59109 by Newell
Hello,

Just wondered if anyone can shed any light on my steering wheel shakes (pretty badly) even though I have had all the wheels balanced twice?

at around 40-55mph. Classic wheel out of balance symptoms, but they apparently are fine..

Its a 2005 Jimny vvt, on standard alloys and bridgestone dueler tyres.

Thanks, Kit

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ne-crock
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Jan 2013 17:14 #59137 by ne-crock
I'd look towards your kingpin bearings, they are the most common cause of the 'death wobble'

• iloveics
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Jan 2013 18:00 #59150 by iloveics
I wouldn't rule out unbalanced wheels, did you get them done at the same place twice?
When i went from standard wheels to modulars, the balancing machine at my work wouldnt balance them, so had to pay somewhere else to do it, however there is a slight wobble, that wasnt there before the modular wheels.

More
22 Jan 2013 20:30 #59183 by fast forward
sounds like the king pins as previously said ive got the same problem and it happens at the same speed as yours ,jack up the front of car and give the front wheels a wobble by hand and see if theres any play in them ! :woohoo:

if you cant go round it go over it ! or vice versa ?

• Newell
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Jan 2013 23:18 #59223 by Newell
Ah the King Pins.. Ive heard that these can be pesky!

The Jimny has covered 45,000 Miles so is this likely?

I have just bought the car, anything else that I should check out that could be wrong with it too?

Thanks!

Here is a picture of it..
Attachments:

More
23 Jan 2013 12:31 #59278 by gus2000
Hello.

I attach a Suzuki Service Bulletin

Believe that the but important refers to the adjustment of the new bearings of the kingpin with spring balance.

Sincerely

Gustavo - LU2HC

Gustavo LU2HC - Rio Cuarto (Argentina)
Jimny 1999 - 1.6 16V - SOHC
Attachments:

• MWells
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jan 2013 16:40 #59296 by MWells
It could also be worn panard rod bushes.

More
23 Jan 2013 17:10 #59299 by fast forward
yes is likely at that mileage as mine is similar mileage on suzuki 02 and has same problem are you losing grease onto your drive yet ! :(

if you cant go round it go over it ! or vice versa ?

• Newell
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jan 2013 20:59 #59341 by Newell
Not losing any grease yet. Ok so.. If it is the Kingpins, would fitting a steering damper help?

So say its the kingpins (symptoms are all pointing towards this) Is replacing the bearings the done thing? Is this a sensible / possible thing to do at home? Would a standard garage cope with this, or would I need to visit a Suzuki garage?
Worth a look at the 'leading arm' bushes?

I have a small amount of mechanical experience from building old minis, but I have never even looked underneath a Jimny!

Thanks gus2000 for the service bulletin PDF!

More
23 Jan 2013 21:04 #59343 by dirtydogz

2002 JLX Soft Top B)
Jimnybits 2" lift +Pro Comp ES1000 shocks.:) Big Jimny rear shock mounts. Big Jimny adjustable panhard rods.
Big Jimny steering damper bracket. Disco Armstrong steering damper. 7X15 black modulars. 205/75/15 Maxxis 743 bravo m/t.Superpro camber correction bushes.Black A bar....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Newell

More
23 Jan 2013 22:40 #59371 by kirkynut
That service bulletin is interesting, Suzuki themselves think it can be only balancing, bushes or kingpin bearings. Well I have new ones of all of those with shimmed kingpins but my tyres have not been balanced for a while and I have steering wheel shake at 43mph - 48mph approx. Not full on death wobble but enough to make me want to resolve it.

So I have purchased some balancing beads to go in my tyres in order that they balance themselves all the time no matter what.

Once the snow has gone I'll pop them in and tell y'all the results. I'm hoping for a miracle cure. We shall have to see!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Newell
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jan 2013 23:26 - 23 Jan 2013 23:27 #59376 by Newell
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationSupposing I could afford this set, is it the correct one?

Last edit: 23 Jan 2013 23:27 by Newell.

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds