BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

alternator and power steering belt change,how to

• rowsjeep
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Aug 2012 15:42 #46966 by rowsjeep
hello all, i'm new on here as my wife , as much as i tried to convince her otherwise(higher tax and worse mpg than my 530 bmw) has bought a 53 plate jimny. Anyway , only had it two weeks and fan belt snapped. no probs i thought , even though its sunday, off to halfords, and of course the one listed there is the wrong size. halfords is listed as 815 when real size is 835. had to wait to today tuesday to get correct size from local motor factors, and bought both seeing as its stripped down.
Having read through some of the listing here it appeared quite a tricky job, but having done it myself it was not half as bad as some members made out, heres how i did it.
removed fan and shroud as one,4x10mm on shroud, 4x10mm on fan , using a long screwdriver to lock the nuts. take top hose off radiator and fold back, remove top two radiator nuts and gently pull rad towards you, then the fan will slide off threads and both can be removed. remove tensioner on the p/s side and remove belt. slacken the bolts on the alternator, dont forget bottom bolt requires a allen key it is not a hex head.
now replacing the belts was quite easy, alternator first, i took the adjusting nut and bolt both off which seem to give a lot more movement(dont try removing bottom bolt,.as you cant get it back in when under tension), put belt on the alt. first then fan pulley, then using a 17mm socket and ratchet on the crank pulley,put the belt on the pulley as much as poss then turn crank while guiding belt on.tensioned belt with large screwdriver, and tightened bolts.
The p/s steering one very easy(dont listen to horror stories on here), put the tensioner on first and turn it to give full play and nip it up. put the belt on the crank first, then under tensioner and force the belt over the p/s pulley with your thumbs, it will go on with a bit of grunting. then using a allen key in the hex hole in tensioner hold it down and tighten up nut and bolt. jobs a good un.
fan and shroud reverse of taking off and dont forget the top hose.
knowing what i do know probably an hours job.i also copper slipped eveything and replaced the 10mm nuts on the fan , as these do tend to round off. i hope this helps someone to do this quite easy job!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Aug 2012 16:31 #46976 by facade
Thanks for the detailed post.

You should be able to feed the belts in through the fan with a bit of care, there are gaps in the shroud on each side, and do the job without touching the radiator.

I did mine with the radiator out though, because nothing on earth would get the allen key bolt undone on the alternator. I had to remove the alternator and mounting bracket to get it in the vice.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• rowsjeep
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Aug 2012 18:20 - 28 Aug 2012 18:22 #46988 by rowsjeep
ah the power of copperslip!! i removed the fan and shroud for two reasons: one i have hands the size of the hulk and also the rad is like a very old wasp nest (delicate). while on about rads is it right that the auto box rad is different than the manual? many thanks for any help.
Last edit: 28 Aug 2012 18:22 by rowsjeep. Reason: abbot ale

More
28 Aug 2012 18:38 #46989 by facade
I think that the auto has an oil cooler in the bottom tank for the transmission oil. If yours is auto, look for 2 small bore hoses attaching to spigots at the bottom tank.

An auto radiator should fit on a manual, but not the other way round.
(The auto rad. will hold slightly less water because of the volume of the oil cooler)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds