BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Rear diff oil seal?

• Peter
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Sep 2010 17:05 #4516 by Peter
Rear diff oil seal? was created by Peter
Hi all.

Help needed please.

Had my 06 Jimny for almost a year now. Had 14k when I got it, just over 20k now.

Suzuki sent a letter for recall re the Power Steering Pump Pulley... in today for 'warranty' inspection and replacement of the pulley.

Free of charge, but on collection, advised that the rear prop shaft oil seal was leaking. We can book it in for you now sir... just shy of £390. New prop shaft £260. One hours labour. And a few sundries plus the vodka and tonic.

I asked why not just an oil seal. The young lady said that's what she had been told. Arghhhhhhhhhh

Funny. I've been underneath a few times recently, but didn't notice the oil that was spreading across the underside before? Certainly none on the drive. Its there in abundance now...

I may have missed it, but I can't see a tech guide on here re these oil seals? Are they covered somewhere please? or do they not go that often?

How likely is it for this oil seal to leak this early in a Jimny's life? Its not been off road a great deal. Did sterling service during the bad winter, but only on tarmac and a few small excursions off road.

Doing the work shouldn't be a problem. I am close to the end of a full restoration of my Classic 1990 Mini Cooper. Just need a few pointers - and pictures... :-)

Advice appreciated. Also, first class tech guides on the site, but is there a general workshop manual available for this 06 Jimny please? And where from?

I have seen the Haynes SJ, but it was sealed. Does this in any way cover the Jimny?

Lots of questions for a first post, but I hope you can see what I am asking.

Any help appreciated.

Peter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Sep 2010 17:29 #4518 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Rear diff oil seal?
Hi Peter,

First the bad news about the guides on this site, if your the first person to do the job then you get to write the guide!

Although you call it the rear diff oil seal in the title you then call it the rear prop shaft oil seal. I assume you mean the oil seal at the diff end rather than that at the transfer box end.

Not sure why you would need a prop shaft. The bad news about prop shafts on a Jimny is that the CV joint at the transfer box end is not replacable so if this is gone then you need a new propshaft. If it is the UJ at the other end then it is conceivable that the joint can be changed. I suppose that a worn prop shaft would cause "wobble" that would knacker the oil seal but I at this mileage I would be very surprised.

The rear differential oil seal is pretty straight forward to change except that you have to reset the "pre-load" on the differential afterwards using a new crush collar. If you get it wrong then you need another crush collar etc. etc.

I would be tempted to change the oil seal and crush collar and ignore their reference to the rear prop. When you have it all in bits you can check the rear prop anyway for proper free movement.

As for the Haynes manual, don't even buy it if you have an SJ leave alone a Jimny!

The Internet is a wonderfully subversive place. A quick google for 99501-81A20-01E will get you the post 2005 model workshop manual. The disappointment for you is that the manual only contains the updates for your model. Therefore to see the differential which has not been updated you need to go all the way back to the 1998 Jimny manual, google 99500-81A02-01E

Hope this helps and I await the write up!

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• Peter
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Sep 2010 18:29 #4519 by Peter
Replied by Peter on topic Re:Rear diff oil seal?
Thank you Martin. Service with a smile. ;)

When I do it I will capture it for posterity.

And I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again

Peter

More
04 Sep 2010 20:27 #4533 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Re:Rear diff oil seal?
It isn't supposed to leak :) (Not like a Landrover)

I would check that the axle breather on top of the axle tube is clear before anything else.

If it has just let go in a big way something must have broken, likely the pinion bearings have gone, or it has picked up some grit that has marked the seal surface. Try grabbing the flange, and trying to lift it up and down. If you can move it relative to the axle casing, get another differential.

Anyway, consulting the manual, you are supposed to take the differential out to change the seal (hence my comment about not being supposed to leak, Landrovers often leak, and the seal is done in situ, in about 20 minutes, but Rover axles have ballraces and you just tighten the pinion nut with a torque wrench.)

The jimny has taper bearings, as Martin says, with a crush spacer between them to adjust the preload: you tighten the pinion flange nut until a torque of 9 to 17 Kg cm or 7.8 to 14.7 inch lbs is required to just start it moving. (that is hardly anything)

This is the same procedure as the Salisbury axle on a Landrover/MGB

What we amateur mechanics do here is mark the nut and the flange, so we tighten the nut back up to exactly the same place on refitting. We also need to get the flange back on the same spline, so we mark a spline too.

The jimny manual says to pull the flange with a puller, and press it back on. This can't be right, as if the flange is that tight on the splines, it would never adjust the preload properly. Certainly Landrovers just slide off: I've done loads.

Actually, being a very suspicious type, I would clean the oil off, check the oil level, and see if the leak continues. You don't need a propshaft to cure an oil leak .......

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• Peter
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Sep 2010 15:45 #4582 by Peter
OK folks

I've been underneath and I now have a fuller story. There are more shafts under there than a Yorkshire Coal Mine... :silly:

It looks like the oil is coming from the main prop shaft that comes out of the rear of the gearbox.

I asked a mechanic friend and he says he can do it Monday for about £80. Given my other commitments and full time work, I took him up on his offer.

I'll keep you posted, but won't have the photos for the forum. :blush:

Thanks again for the help.

Peter

More
10 Sep 2010 17:05 #4584 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Re:Rear diff oil seal?
That is the transfer box rear seal. The seal surface is the propshaft, so the dealer suspects the propshaft has a damaged seal surface, and is changing the shaft as well as the rubber seal.

Likely the dealer is right, oilseals don't just leak, usually the seal surface is worn out.

Could still be a blocked breather though.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
16 Sep 2010 16:23 #4681 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re:Rear diff oil seal?
The proof in the pudding will be in the eating. If the prop is pulled out of the transfer box and appears undamaged, it could just be the seal gone. It might have been a dodgy seal from the factory, or the prop caught on the seal if fitted roughly in the factory by a bloke who wanted to go home early on a Friday afternoon etc.

Have you cleaned the oil off, topped up the transfer box and seen if it re-occurs - god forbid the man in the dealer could have smeared oil all over it and told you it had leaked???

I had a man in a well known fast fit centre have me over when I was wet behind the ears with cars telling me my rear brake cylinders were leaking by squiring a bit of brake fluid behind the seals with a syringe once - I then learnt it was common practice!

Just a thought???

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Peter
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Sep 2010 21:58 #4692 by Peter
I have long been a cynic, since a friend of my late father told me he was a partner of a bloke in a garage. The bloke, who did the spannering's idea of greasing nipples was to run round the grease points, touching the grease nipples with a smear of grease from the tin, to make it look as though they had been greased and the little 'whisper' of grease was as a result of the 'pull off' as the grease gun was removed.

Of course, it wasn't in his interest to grease the joint. He would get paid more when the joint seized.

My second example was more about cock up than conspiracy. Hillman Imp, brand new, very soon the baffles in the exhaust box started to vibrate. They replaced the box under warranty. We said can we have the box and fit it, as we had done several Imps. No they said. We have to do it properly.

They had the car for a full day. The dealer was in the centre of Manchester. We lived in Stockport, some 10n miles away.

I had a look underneath after we got it home, and the clamp bolt at the top to the manifold was loose . The rear 'A' bracket was on, but there was no nut on the box. And the front 'strap' was on, but again, no nut on the box. Not sure it would have fallen off, but it would have moved about a lot!

My theory, which cant be proven, is that whilst my Jimny was in for the warranty recall on the steering pump pulley, the oil seal was accidentally damaged, possibly struck by falling space debris. It happens.

No matter, they didn't get the job. My mate replaced the oil seal on Monday, and as far as I can see, he's done the trick. Been a bit wet last few evenings, so when its dry I'll get under and have a good butchers.

All this following on from the Watchdog Program this evening, casting doubts on the honesty of 10 QuickFit Centres. Why oh why am I not surprised?

There are honest garages out there, but some are on the gravy train.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Peter

• VAXXi
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Nov 2011 11:12 #25143 by VAXXi
Replied by VAXXi on topic Re: Rear diff oil seal?
I have the same problem: the seal in the rear of the gearbox is leaking. Transfercase is completely dry. I've replaced the oil to full level until I get it replaced, but does anyone know the Suzuki OEM code (or equivalent) for this part ?

More
05 Nov 2011 08:04 #25174 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re: Rear diff oil seal?
Suzuki OEM part number is 24780-83010

I can get you a price if you want one.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
05 Nov 2011 15:01 #25191 by supergaz
Replied by supergaz on topic Re: Rear diff oil seal?
I've just found out why mine leaks! the bearing is knocking its nuts off :-(. Oh well time to fit my lockrite. :-)

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds