BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

panhard rods

• oxford_bloke
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Aug 2010 19:40 #4256 by oxford_bloke
panhard rods was created by oxford_bloke
hi all,

I am in the process of fitting my 4.5inch lift from ORA and have got round to fitting the panhard rods. so can anybody tell me what size they should be if not how to get the to the right size.

Cheers guys and many thanks

Tom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Aug 2010 19:49 #4258 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re:panhard rods
Why don't you give Rob at ORA a ring, or he has a forum attached to his website that is worth a look

More
16 Aug 2010 20:11 #4261 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Re:panhard rods
When you find the length, you can get adjustable rods, or splice a piece in yours, welding is ok as long as it is done properly and doesn't reduce the strength of the component.

Me, I'd just hacksaw across the rod now, centre the axle, measure the gap and weld a piece in, most likely turn a plug to keep the two parts true, and tack it in place on the car to save aligning the two ends ;)
Just make sure the repair is strong enough, you don't want it to come apart half way up Kilimanjaro :blink:

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• oxford_bloke
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Aug 2010 20:21 #4262 by oxford_bloke
Replied by oxford_bloke on topic Re:panhard rods
I have adjustable HD Panhard rods with came with the kit. which look like they have an extra 2 inches (ish) available for adjustment 1 inch on either end where the rose joints screw in.

Cheers guys

Tom

More
16 Aug 2010 20:44 #4264 by facade
They should be opposite threads, if so, dead easy, turn the tube until the axle is centralised.

Likely the springs will centralise it, so you could just adjust it until the eye bolts slide in and out standing on level ground.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• oxford_bloke
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Aug 2010 20:47 #4265 by oxford_bloke
Replied by oxford_bloke on topic Re:panhard rods
cheers for that i'm asuming then that this will stop the body from looking lop sided to?

cheers

tom

More
17 Aug 2010 15:29 #4270 by facade
Should do, if the rod is too short it will pull the axle over and try to pull the car down.
I would disconnect the back, and adjust the front 'till the bolts are lined with the holes. then fit the front and adjust the rear.

More
17 Aug 2010 18:01 #4279 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:panhard rods
I was told to put the car on a level surface with the panhard rods disconnected. Rock the car a bit to make sure the suspension settles. Then if you have adjustable rods simply adjust them so you can put the bolts in them and tighten them up.

If you have non-adjustable ones you then need to cut them and weld them so the holes line up

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds