BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Smoking after ticking over for a while

• 247sniper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Jun 2012 13:57 - 15 Jun 2012 13:58 #42414 by 247sniper
Replied by 247sniper on topic Re: Smoking after ticking over for a while

Dave c wrote: hissing radiators in the morning hmmmmmmmmmmmm new one on me.

Thats what i thought and i have been in the motor trade 15 years ! ;)
Last edit: 15 Jun 2012 13:58 by 247sniper.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jun 2012 18:26 #42425 by facade
Don't believe me then ;)

I guarantee my jimny doesn't keep the radiator pressurised with gas in the top when cold.

It is supposed to be full up to the top with water. When the coolant heats up it expands and increases the pressure, (which raises the boiling point). if it goes above the cap pressure the rubber seal comes off the seat and lets the extra coolant into the expansion bottle. Now when it cools and contracts it should go below atmospheric pressure and get fluid pushed back from the bottle via the one way valve in the centre of the cap. (Or the hoses will go all flat)

With a weepy head gasket cylinder pressure will leak into the water jacket and blow extra coolant into the expansion bottle, and when the coolant cools down and contracts there is a space in the top of the radiator filled with air under slight pressure.

You can do a test from the radiator cap with one of those hand pump testers until you burst a hose and you won't get water to go into the cylinders unless the gasket is so gone that a compression test will show you the problem.

A leakdown test is better, (with the crank blocked at TDC you pressurise the cylinders one at a time to about 150psi and look for bubbles at the radiator cap, or measure the pressure drop over a set time, : -but this could also be rings or valves), and the hydrocarbon test of the water is another good test, but these tests involve time and money.

With a cold engine water hoses hard and hiss from rad cap on opening means head gasket weeping.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Jun 2012 18:54 #42429 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic Re: Smoking after ticking over for a while

247sniper wrote:

Dave c wrote: hissing radiators in the morning hmmmmmmmmmmmm new one on me.

Thats what i thought and i have been in the motor trade 15 years ! ;)

same as mate iv never come across that before but i will undo my cap in the morning before work but well we will see

More
15 Jun 2012 19:02 #42430 by facade
In the OPs case, I still don't think it is actually steam from a head gasket leak, possibly it is oil smoke from oil leaking past the valve seals, or something wrong with the breather system. (Does it use oil?)

There is also a slight possibility it is brake fluid from a faulty servo, but you would notice the fluid level dropping significantly.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• toms dun
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Jun 2012 19:30 - 15 Jun 2012 20:11 #42432 by toms dun
Replied by toms dun on topic Re: Smoking after ticking over for a while
hi thanks for all yor help
I think there is something in all what you have said but the coolant was down this morning NO HISSING though so filled up with coolant cheeked oil. I drove to work not having to stay on tick over anywhere. No smoke screen.when car had cooled down I opened radiator cap and there was space in the top there are no leaks in hoses so something like facade says has happened. but no pressure in the system on opening cap.
How do I check breather system as this also sounds about right .Ive got a disc with manual on it but find it alot more difficult to use than a heinze manual
Cheers Tom
when there is smoke I mean ahuge amount like you could hide in.
Last edit: 15 Jun 2012 20:11 by toms dun. Reason: for got to mention

More
15 Jun 2012 22:12 #42441 by kirkynut
What colour is the smoke?

If it's blue you are burning oil, if it's white it's water.

How can we account for the coolant loss though if there is no leak. Still sounds like headgasket to me.

If the smoke is blue though it could be valve stem seals.

If it were the head gasket and you were burning that much water, I'd expect to see the mayonnaise in the oil by now though.

Can you see the rainbow of oil in the coolant when you take the rad cap off or in the expansion tank?

You could always get a compression test done to see what that tells us.

It's alright all us suggesting stuff but it's so much easier if you have the car. I could give you a relatively definitive answer in about half hour if I had the car here at my workshop!

Perhaps get it to a good local garage for a proper diagnosis.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
16 Jun 2012 06:49 #42445 by facade
Rather than waste a lot of time and money, if you have the experience (You did a discovery you said) with 120,000miles on it a head service won't hurt, a head gasket set is about £40.
Then you will want the head skimming slightly, maybe another £30-50.

Check the valve seats, and fit new valve seals, change the cambelt and have a look at the waterpump (might be a leak here if it is not maintaining any residual pressure)

• 247sniper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Jun 2012 09:00 - 16 Jun 2012 09:02 #42452 by 247sniper
Replied by 247sniper on topic Re: Smoking after ticking over for a while

kirkynut wrote: What colour is the smoke?

If it were the head gasket and you were burning that much water, I'd expect to see the mayonnaise in the oil by now though.

Kirkynut

I have had cars before when the gasket has'nt failed between and into a oil way, but has leaked water into the cylinders, it only takes a small amount to make white smoke, and the engine will burn that no problems at all with no drop in engine performance.

A compression test would probally show nothing if its only a small leak which it probally is as the runing of the engine appears in this case to be good and therefore the compressions will be up.

Like I said im my earlier post, the only way to be 100% sure is to do a CYLINDER LEAKAGE TEST, that will confirm where the gasket has gone to, or confirm if the head gasket has gone at all!
If you cant do it or havent got the stuff take it to someone who can/has.

Id do it for you mate but i think the trip to the Isle Of Man would cost more the paying somone local to you to fix it. ;)

Steve.
Last edit: 16 Jun 2012 09:02 by 247sniper.

More
16 Jun 2012 21:10 - 16 Jun 2012 21:12 #42475 by kirkynut

247sniper wrote:

kirkynut wrote: What colour is the smoke?

Kirkynut

I have had cars before when the gasket has'nt failed between and into a oil way, but has leaked water into the cylinders, it only takes a small amount to make white smoke, and the engine will burn that no problems at all with no drop in engine performance.

A compression test would probally show nothing if its only a small leak which it probally is as the runing of the engine appears in this case to be good and therefore the compressions will be up.

Like I said im my earlier post, the only way to be 100% sure is to do a CYLINDER LEAKAGE TEST, that will confirm where the gasket has gone to, or confirm if the head gasket has gone at all!
If you cant do it or havent got the stuff take it to someone who can/has.

Id do it for you mate but i think the trip to the Isle Of Man would cost more the paying somone local to you to fix it. ;)

Steve.

If there is enough water getting into the cylinders to burn water when it's running, water will still get into the cylinders when it's not running, thus will drain past the rings to the sump over a night and over several nights be enough to create mayonnaise.

I've blown 4 head gaskets with all types of symptoms over the years.

A cylinder leakage test is as good as the seal of the valves.

We are all guessing and none of us can diagnose it on the interweb, hence why I suggest taking it to a good local garage for all the possible tests to be done, pressure or leakage tests on the coolant system to see if it pushes coolant into the cylinders, cylinder leakage test, chemical test of the coolant and compression test maybe.

If it's made clear you only want a diagnosis and you'll fix it yourself, you'll get an honest opinion. Not a guess like we are all doing.

Or if you're happy to do do, you could get a new headset, skim, cam belt, stretch bolts and coolant and water pump for less than £150 and as has been said, just change it anyway and you'll know for sure and that it's all done.

Get the head checked for cracks or porousness whilst it's off.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Last edit: 16 Jun 2012 21:12 by kirkynut.
The following user(s) said Thank You: toms dun

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds