BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Fuel light?

• Hickson
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Jun 2012 08:00 #41542 by Hickson
Fuel light? was created by Hickson
Hi all

I'm new to this forum having bought my first Jimny on saturday :)

I've got a 2003 3dr JLX, I've wanted one for a while so I'm really pleased and want to drive it everywhere!

I have a question regarding fuel... when I got it, it was completely empty... towards the bottom of the red line, although there was no light on, so question number one, does is have a fuel light? I can't see one and I don't have the manual.

I only put £20 in on saturday (pre pay day!) and it's now on the red again, I've read a few reviews saying it will go for ages on the red but as I'm new to the car I don't want to push it!

Thanks in advance :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• adamatdraycott
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Jun 2012 08:11 - 01 Jun 2012 08:18 #41543 by adamatdraycott
Replied by adamatdraycott on topic Re: Fuel light?
No your Jimny doesn't have a low fuel light... you have the old dash trim, the same as me, and most others on here

Jimny fuel gauges aren't the most accurate. The tank is 40 litres.

I run mine down to the red most fills, and have never managed to get 36 litres in... so i guess my gauge reads empty when there is about 5L left... saves stirring the crud in the tank :whistle:

Welcome by the way :)
Last edit: 01 Jun 2012 08:18 by adamatdraycott.

• Hickson
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Jun 2012 08:38 #41544 by Hickson
Replied by Hickson on topic Re: Fuel light?
Good to know thanks!! :) Saves me from being a typical girl and waiting for a light to come on that doesn't exist >_< hehe

More
01 Jun 2012 09:40 - 01 Jun 2012 09:41 #41550 by dirtydogz
Replied by dirtydogz on topic Re: Fuel light?
Welcome to Big Jimny . ;)
As Adam said don't let the tank get down to empty or the next thing will be a blocked fuel injector.
Always fill up before it get in to the red. :evil:

2002 JLX Soft Top B)
Jimnybits 2" lift +Pro Comp ES1000 shocks.:) Big Jimny rear shock mounts. Big Jimny adjustable panhard rods.
Big Jimny steering damper bracket. Disco Armstrong steering damper. 7X15 black modulars. 205/75/15 Maxxis 743 bravo m/t.Superpro camber correction bushes.Black A bar....
Last edit: 01 Jun 2012 09:41 by dirtydogz.

• adamatdraycott
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Jun 2012 10:03 #41553 by adamatdraycott
Replied by adamatdraycott on topic Re: Fuel light?
As you are new to the Jim... get it serviced asap, unless it has history and its been done recently

Either way run a tank through with a shot of redex (available from Halfords for £2 ish)
This should make sure everything is clean ;)

• wanderinstar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Jun 2012 10:16 #41555 by wanderinstar
Replied by wanderinstar on topic Re: Fuel light?
I asked the same question a few months ago. I ran out just before a roundabout and it was pouring with rain. I had to walk about 1/2 miles to buy a can and the same dist. again to get it filled up.
Now i always carry a full can behind my seat/
Welcome by the way.
atb,
Ian.

• Hickson
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Jun 2012 12:23 #41566 by Hickson
Replied by Hickson on topic Re: Fuel light?
Thanks all :) I will get it serviced within the next couple of months I think, I never used to bother with my old car what with it being a heap but I want to look after this one!

My other half is a mechanic thankfully so he's had a good look round it and made sure there's nothing majorly wrong with it.

Just filled it up... £48.84, about the same as it used to be to fill my old saxo! great :D

More
01 Jun 2012 16:41 #41587 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re: Fuel light?
Welcome along! I hope you're pressing your man into good use by getting him to service it then as they are easy to work on, so despite it being a busman's holiday for him to do it, it's not griefy!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• 247sniper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Jun 2012 07:59 #41609 by 247sniper
Replied by 247sniper on topic Re: Fuel light?
When my jimny get in the red I haven't got long left at all, I have had it spluttering as I have pulled up on the petrol forecourt and about to stop. A full fill to the brim will only be around 37 ltrs.

I refill now as soon as it gets to the red :lol:

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds