BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

front swivel balls/speheres

• mazi
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 May 2012 18:19 #41021 by mazi
front swivel balls/speheres was created by mazi
Hi all, I am new to Jimmnys.
I have just bought a 51 plate with 38k on the clock. Took it for an MOT yesterday
and the N/S front swivel ball sphere has oil/grease oozing out. The mot guy said irt should
be easy to do as its just seals and maybe bearings????
Can I buy a repair seal kit or something.
Sorry to sound like a noob but I am not 100% familiar with 4x4 mechanicals and terminology.
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 May 2012 19:55 - 23 May 2012 19:56 #41024 by supergaz
Last edit: 23 May 2012 19:56 by supergaz.

• mazi
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 May 2012 20:49 #41029 by mazi
Replied by mazi on topic Re: front swivel balls/speheres
I have movement on my N/S wheel, is it best practice to do both sides or should I do the one with the wobbly wheel and leaky oil/grease??
Also I think I have now established that I need to do the kingpin bearings, should I do the seals at the same time?
oh and why do I need to enter a stupid code every time I post???????
first time ive seen that on a motoring forum

• Sam_
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 May 2012 20:52 #41030 by Sam_
Replied by Sam_ on topic Re: front swivel balls/speheres
Not sure about the code thing, but the seal its self will probably be ok.

Did mine the weekend just gone and since changing top and bottom bearings there's now no oil leaking at all. The seal isn't water tight more just to stop to much dirt and grime getting in.

I did mine about a month apart and it seems fine!

• myers647
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 May 2012 20:54 #41031 by myers647
Replied by myers647 on topic Re: front swivel balls/speheres
Hi mate & welcome. Once you have signed in then thats it.
If there is grease/oil on the Ball then you will need to change the King Pin bearings and change the small oil seal which comes with the kit. The big rubber seal on the Ball is just a dust seal not oil seal. This is probably the most common fault on the Jimnys when they are used for off road. Get used to changing them. Im doing both this week end. Only change the one side thats gone. This is quite an easy job nothing hard jus follow the How too guide. about 1 hour to do job steady away.

Thanks
James

• mazi
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 May 2012 21:28 #41034 by mazi
My jimny is just an urban hack at the moment but would love to do some of roading as the bits seem to be quite reasonable compared to big offroaders such as Landcruisers.
Wouldnt know where to start when it comes to offroading.
Done some track work in RWD BMWs and FWD Nissans but offroading is totally new and I know nothing

More
23 May 2012 21:35 #41035 by dirtydogz
mazi when you open the big jimny web site, don't click on the login at the top of the page, just click on to the forum this will open the chat room now login here+click on remember me then on login.
Hope this help.
Dirtydogz.

2002 JLX Soft Top B)
Jimnybits 2" lift +Pro Comp ES1000 shocks.:) Big Jimny rear shock mounts. Big Jimny adjustable panhard rods.
Big Jimny steering damper bracket. Disco Armstrong steering damper. 7X15 black modulars. 205/75/15 Maxxis 743 bravo m/t.Superpro camber correction bushes.Black A bar....

• mazi
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 May 2012 21:37 #41036 by mazi
Thanks

More
23 May 2012 21:43 #41038 by dirtydogz
That's ok mate we are here to help. B)

2002 JLX Soft Top B)
Jimnybits 2" lift +Pro Comp ES1000 shocks.:) Big Jimny rear shock mounts. Big Jimny adjustable panhard rods.
Big Jimny steering damper bracket. Disco Armstrong steering damper. 7X15 black modulars. 205/75/15 Maxxis 743 bravo m/t.Superpro camber correction bushes.Black A bar....

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds